Rifle storage

KB1

Do rifles have to be stored in your own residence? Can't be stored, for example, with a relation (parents) if you retain sole access to cabinet keys etc...

I've done this in the past and the firearms dept were happy with the arrangement, probably best to give yours a call just to confirm

They can be stored at another address , my brother kept his at my other brothers, 3000 miles away, while abroad

It's not a problem. I live with my mum and she doesn't particularly like guns, so mine are at my dads in a separate cabinet to his. Doesn't bother me too much as all the reloading gear is at his anyway.

When I filled in the application form it asks where the firearms will be stored. Just make sure you are the only 1 who has access to the cabinet!

Yes its fine I currently have a friends two rifles on my ticket, but they are still stored in his cabinet at his farm, I just have his keys bolts and ammo stored in my safe. I sent a letter to licensing prior to doing this and they confirmed this was fine.

I believe that the police would have to inspect and approve any residence that they were stored. As long as the police have inspected and approved the location and cabinet I do not think there would be an issue.

Thanks. I'm relocating to Ireland for a few yrs for work. rather than go through the hassle of moving them abroad, I'll look to store them at the folks house and apply for a new license in Ireland. good excuse for a new rifle I guess....

Thanks. I'm relocating to Ireland for a few yrs for work. rather than go through the hassle of moving them abroad, I'll look to store them at the folks house and apply for a new license in Ireland. good excuse for a new rifle I guess....

You say that you will be relocating so you won't even be resident in the same country that's a different matter then Blaire. I think that you will need to consider either taking them with you or lodging them in long term storage with a RFD. You really need to speak to your firearms department and explain your situation to them rather than asking for opinions on the website as only they can tell you how they will look at the matter.

Why look for new rifle when you'll have ones you own already sitting doing nowt ... Can't see FEO happy with that
Best to speak to them direct see what options are

Can ask on here you could get heap o different answers
Speak to / ask those that count & cover yer ass ... So you don't fall foul of anyone

Paul

I might be wrong, but don't you have to be a uk resident to hold a valid fac?

MY son (who lives with his mother) has his own cabinet in my house. A&S were OK with the arrangement.

D

I might be wrong, but don't you have to be a uk resident to hold a valid fac?

But what about having firearms as a non resident?

Only FLO can answer that one and then do you want to cause issues if you are only going "away for a 24 month holiday".

Only the OP knows his own timings.

Stan

I know when my son was keepering in Southern Ireland he had to give up his uk license. but that is of course if you tell them you are out of the country, my brother kept his for yrs by keeping a uk address, he lived in the USA .

But what about having firearms as a non resident?

Only FLO can answer that one and then do you want to cause issues if you are only going "away for a 24 month holiday".

Only the OP knows his own timings.

Stan

I have spent five years working abroad in the recent past and during this time kept my FAC - although my wife (who was not with me) had a mirror FAC - all at the suggestion of the FO. Mind you that was a very sensible FO - Northern Constabulary.

So yes - it's very definately possible to keep your FAC - but you will need to go through this with the firearms department.

I have spent five years working abroad in the recent past and during this time kept my FAC - although my wife (who was not with me) had a mirror FAC - all at the suggestion of the FO. Mind you that was a very sensible FO - Northern Constabulary.

So yes - it's very definately possible to keep your FAC - but you will need to go through this with the firearms department.

Something for Blaire to take note of. FLO is not always an "enemy".

Stan

Back