sako brass

There is an old belief that Sako brass was a bit soft and that uneven neck thicknesses resulting in necks stretching on one side more than the other and exacerbating the thickness issue.

However, I think this particular 'myth' needs consigning to history now as I have been reloading Sako 222 brass that I have had for about 12 years and there is no evidence of this in the cases I have.

Like any good quality brass, treat it correctly and it will serve you well.

All mine was originally factory loaded ammo and once fired has been neck sized with the correct size bushing die to give me 2 thou of neck tension with whatever case/bullet combination I am using. This means you are not over working the brass (which will work harden it and in cases like 222 lead to premature splitting of the case necks) and means no messy case lube either!

Oh, and before anyone says it - no I do not neck crimp and neither do any of the bench rest or F class shooters I know - "go figure!"

When the cases get a little tight to chamber I anneal the necks and then full length size them before reverting back to neck sizing until the next time they get a little tight.

I run some ancient Norma cases for practice and club level competition and then have Sako and Lapua cases for serious competition! (I also use Lapua brass in all my deer stalking loads but that is only because I bought a big bag of it for £5/100 about 20 years ago).

Last edited:
There is an old belief that Sako brass was a bit soft and that uneven neck thicknesses resulting in necks stretching on one side more than the other and exacerbating the thickness issue.

However, I think this particular 'myth' needs consigning to history now as I have been reloading Sako 222 brass that I have had for about 12 years and there is no evidence of this in the cases I have.

Like any good quality brass, treat it correctly and it will serve you well.

All mine was originally factory loaded ammo and once fired has been neck sized with the correct size bushing die to give me 2 thou of neck tension with whatever case/bullet combination I am using. This means you are not over working the brass (which will work harden it and in cases like 222 lead to premature splitting of the case necks) and means no messy case lube either!

Oh, and before anyone says it - no I do not neck crimp and neither do any of the bench rest or F class shooters I know - "go figure!"

When the cases get a little tight to chamber I anneal the necks and then full length size them before reverting back to neck sizing until the next time they get a little tight.

I run some ancient Norma cases for practice and club level competition and then have Sako and Lapua cases for serious competition! (I also use Lapua brass in all my deer stalking loads but that is only because I bought a big bag of it for £5/100 about 20 years ago).

Hahaha! Good man. Bet we get some "advice" on that now tho'. :)

Back