new set up

dirtdigger

looking to splash out on a new set up , due £3000 from a claim and its all ear marked for a rifle and scope , ive seen a used blaser r8 pro for £1800 . thoughts please

dirtdigger,
For 1800 you can take your pick of many rifles. I would prefer a more traditional rifle compared to the Blaser. I myself would prefer a Sako with a fixed power Schmidt and Bender scope. Just my thoughts but at the end of the day you have to get what you want...

Hunt about I just picked up an as new sako/holland &holland L61r with apels for £700 in 270 and a mate got a sauer 202in 270 complete with mounts scope and reloading gear for £1400 £3k will get you alot of rifle and scope .going to the dark side is up to you ?
Regards n

Last edited:
Hunt about I just picked up an as new sako/holland &holland L61r with apels for £700 in 270 and a mate got a sauer 202in 270 complete with mounts scope and reloading gear for £1400 £3k will get you alot of rifle and scope .going to the dark side is up to you ?
Regards n
the dark side?

gr1ffer is right brian, before laying out some serious money for a rifle/scope you really need to get out there and handle a few, you will soon know what feels right for you.
PS the dark side is refering to anybody who sells their soul and buys a blaser. LOL
Paul

Last edited:
gr1ffer is right brian, before laying out some serious money for a rifle/scope you really need to get out there and handle a few, you will soon know what feels right for you.
PS the dark side is refering to anybody who sells their soul and buys a blaser. LOL
Paul
im already on the dark side im darth maul and i didnt have to sell my soul , just get a mashed finger ha ha

looking to splash out on a new set up , due £3000 from a claim and its all ear marked for a rifle and scope , ive seen a used blaser r8 pro for £1800 . thoughts please

You don't say what your main rig is now. The hunting and rifle owning experience is quite different in the UK and Europe than it is in America and Canada, and I respect that, but I taken aback by young and relatively new hunters buying outfits which are something most Americans would have to work up to over decades. Two friends of mine recently bought Merkel K3s, but only because they got them for less than half price, and after looking at them for 15 years. Both of them have several rifles, but only one centerfire deer and big game rifle, and the same one, for over 30 years. I have several friends like that, who bought guns along the way that really filled a place for them. I guess it is part of their being self-made men, who drive old pickup trucks and live in the same house for 30 years. They all have incomes over $400K a year, so it is not a question of affording it. It is about really appreciating what they buy, as if they had to save for it for years, and they really know what they want, and really enjoy what they have.

I may not be speaking to your planned purchase, but if you have not had the pleasure of starting with a $12.00 Enfield, buying your first nice, used Remington 700, Winchester Model 70, or L61R Sako, and learning what you like about the cartridges and rifles, dreaming and planning your next purchase or build, or just stumbling onto something that is love at first sight, I urge you to slow down and enjoy the journey, not the destination. Don't let the expectations of others, peer pressure, or ego make you buy something that you don't 100% enjoy as a treasure. Spend more money on hunting than on hardware, more time outside than in gun stores.

Another approach is to buy an old classic, perhaps a Rigby Mauser and enjoy keeping an old gun hunting. Even a worn old gun has a magical charm to it making one wonder over the adventures it may have been a part of. In Germany I found several old Mausers for very cheap prices being sold by old hunters or their widows. One was a Mauser Stutzen in 8X57 produced in 1944, hard to believe sporting rfiles were still being made then but they were. 3 months later I found an nearly identical rifle exactly 100 digits off from the first rifle that was assembled in 1946 and then I acquired a double square bridge African Model from a young hunter who wanted a newer rifle and did not appreciate the Mauser.

I would love to have a WR or Greener Martini sporting rifle and I am sure you could rustle one up there relatively cheaply.

SS

why work up to a blaser , if i get on with 1 and have the money , if i dont use this money on the best set up i can get it will be frittered away and ill never get the chance again

why work up to a blaser , if i get on with 1 and have the money , if i dont use this money on the best set up i can get it will be frittered away and ill never get the chance again

Some of us were just suggesting that, because we don't know why you are leaning towards Blaser, don't know how much experience you have with other rifles.

That is fine to do. The first new shotgun I ever bought, at age 25, was a Perazzi MX3, at a fabulous deal, but still a bit of money at the time, for a young fellow. It shot great, of course, but just wasn't what I needed at the time, and I sold it, and moved back down the food chain to something more suited to my hunting then.

1800 pounds is a good deal. Go for it. If you don't like it you'll get your money back. If you do like it you've saved quite a bit on a new rifle. The 270 is a great calibre. Over time you'll probably want another barrel. Just warning you now.

Back