Sako 85 varmint laminate - opinions please

Selous

Hi everyone

have any of you any first hand experience of the Sako 85 varmint laminate stainless. One of my god sons took a liking to one with a 20inch barrel and a 1 in 10 twist. Will be used for foxing with occasional deer. No hard earned has been shelled out so far as a variation is needed but would appreciate the collective wisdom of the group. Looking like it may be scoped with a 4.5-14 Leupold VXIII LR scope

cheers

S

I have one in 22.250, had a Tikka before, nothing wrong with the Tikka, but the build quality of the Sako is superior to the Tikka.lovely smooth action, he will not be dissapointed, cheers

Had one in 223 for a few years superb rifle your pretty close to me and welcome to come have a try before you decide

Hi everyone

have any of you any first hand experience of the Sako 85 varmint laminate stainless. One of my god sons took a liking to one with a 20inch barrel and a 1 in 10 twist. Will be used for foxing with occasional deer. No hard earned has been shelled out so far as a variation is needed but would appreciate the collective wisdom of the group. Looking like it may be scoped with a 4.5-14 Leupold VXIII LR scope

cheers

S

Calibre?

Both the Sako and Tikka actions have certain nuances between the calibres. In general the Tikka T3 action will be smoother on extraction and chambering.

The Sako is free of plastic, but no better engineered or built than a Tikka. The plastic on a Tikka becomes a craftsmanship issue and unduly influences the customers perception of quality.

Simple one to answer.

Its the best factory rifle available today.

I had one in .243 as my estate rifle for about six years, I shot about 2500 deer with it plus plenty of range use and guest use. It was as accurate the day I handed back as the day I got it. I am kicking myself that I didn't negotiate to keep it as part of my redundancy package.

I also had a Leupold 4.5-14x50 on it.

Thanks for the replies so far, they are really helpful. The chosen calibre is 243 Win to be deer legal though we did start out with a 22/250 variation. I agree about the plastic on Tikkas, has always been a bugbear of mine despite having two Tikkas in the cabinet at this moment. What are the nuances between calibres?? What did surprise me was that the synthetic stock T3 seemed more rigid than the equivalent Sako stock, hence going to laminate.
Keep the replies coming.
Griff- thanks for the kind offer, may take you up on that if time permits

cheers

S

Sako 85

Without wishing to start a mass debate, have you considered getting it in .308?

Although I've been a big .243 fan for many years I do have concerns that the non-lead issue may rear its head in the coming years?

Hi Glyn, to answer your question, yes it has been considered and it is a very valid point. The way I perceived it was that the rifle will be used for foxing / vermin the vast majority of the time and stalking a little of the time. It is also my godsons first fullbore rifle. If the lead free situation arises then the rifle would still be able to fulfill it's primary purpose and if stalking had taken over then the rifle could be readily rebarreled or a second rifle obtained. Re chambering the existing barrel to an Ackley may also be feasible and may potentially enable the 243 to remain legal (I don't know this to be the case before anyone flames me!). I too have always been a 308 fan but the situation here is a little different
cheers
Simon

Ive got a laminate varmint stainless 85 loves PPU sp's

its a bit heavy tho for long stalks with a mod on

it depends how youll be using it if its for hi seat use then it shouldn't be a problem but if you are walking miles and miles regular then i dont think its going to be the best for you

Ive ce got a boxed s/h leupold vx 56mm with the cut out for sale if your interested

hope this helps

For foxing or deer stalking you don't need a varmint barrel IMHO. A normal profile sporter will do the job & be much more versatile.-- Easier to find one & easier to sell too.
The Sako varminter is a great rifle - you just wouldn't want to run around all night after charlie with it or go yomping up the hills round here with one on your shoulder!
The lead free threat is a serious concern when considering a 243. - I'd suggest something a bit bigger -- 25-06 springs to mind. ---- Foxes hate them just as much as any other full bore bullet.

Ian

I have the 85 hunter in stainless cracking rifle, don't think you will be disappointed with either sako or tikka

atb
simon

For foxing or deer stalking you don't need a varmint barrel IMHO. A normal profile sporter will do the job & be much more versatile.-- Easier to find one & easier to sell too.
The Sako varminter is a great rifle - you just wouldn't want to run around all night after charlie with it or go yomping up the hills round here with one on your shoulder!
The lead free threat is a serious concern when considering a 243. - I'd suggest something a bit bigger -- 25-06 springs to mind. ---- Foxes hate them just as much as any other full bore bullet.

Ian

I wont have to!! its not going to be my rifle! Hes a big lad and will enjoy the exercise...... seriously I discussed this with him and he just liked the feel of the heavier barrel

I wont have to!! its not going to be my rifle! Hes a big lad and will enjoy the exercise...... seriously I discussed this with him and he just liked the feel of the heavier barrel

You can tell I'm a weak, aged old g*t - every ounce is important these days!

Ian

I have one in .308. Lovely rifles to shoot and mine is beautifully accurate.

I would without hesitation go for it - Frighteningly accurate and the laminate has all of the benefits of a plastic stock without the albeit aeshetic drawbacks

Great rifles, I recommend Sako 85s as best non custom option in terms of factory rifles. Never seen a bad one yet. I recently had cause to zero three out of the box. All of them shot well with standard Sako ammo. All were the grey laminate stainless in .243.

Back