Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Welsh malform

A Welsh malform

Just a quick write up about a stalk last night.
    I invited my mate out for a quick look around.
    He was the guy who introduced me to shooting. Taught me how to shoot clays and pheasants. Taught me a lot about keepering. Many an hour has been spent together in the countryside oh and the pub;-)

I picked him up for the 20 min drive up to one of my grounds. Got kitted up and headed of to the far side of the farm to get out of the strong wind. The far side is good pasture land, nearly ready for its second cut. One field of not so good wheat but the roe love it in there.
    Got to a gateway and spied the grass field in front. Nothing showing but the field dips towards the far end.
    I got up on the gate and just made out a chestnut back in the dip. So over we went and slowly headed down the hedge. By now we can make out a small cull buck, he had now turned down the field and was heading over another brow.
    Slowly down the field, got to the brow and I could make out a set of ears and antlers sticking out of the grass about 120m away in the bottom corner. So my mate got on the sticks and the waiting game started. I could see that he was now dozing off.
    I gave him a call on the buttalo, he looked up and wasn't bothered. Gave another few goes. Nothing. So terror call. Still nothing. He was not for moving. So waited a bit more and he dozed off again.
    Plan Z was fast approaching ;-) so a quick 'Oui'. Looked up but still not bothered. A few more shouts and he eventually got up.. Game on...he then turned a walked straight up the field towards us. He kept coming up and got within 20m then a quick bark stop him in his tracks and my mate took him through the neck.

A good stalk talk out with an old friend.

He must have damaged his left antler when in velvet as you can see a nice little malform.

Thanks for reading

As we were leaving we were greeted by a supermoon we have been having this week

This buck was taken on the other side of the farm from where Wayne Davies shot his last Friday while out with me. Hopefully Wayne will post some pics when he's a bit quieter at work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  
    Last edited by 243varmint; 12-08-2014 at 19:39.

Quote Originally Posted by 243varmint View Post
    so a quick 'Oui'.
    Bl**dy French migrants - they get everywhere.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Country View Post
    Very good BC, you are on form I see.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Country View Post

Cheeky git.

Perhaps I should of shouted 'Boyo'

Was this our keeper friend's first roe?? ( was thanks to this chap that Jon and I first met)
    Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.

Well done Jon,

A great write up and fantastic photos

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    That's an interesting head, and from the sounds of it a deaf deer! Good one to cull
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Tidy mate your on a roll at the moment, I will get round to posting a few piccys promise.

Well done Jon, another great write up!

Nice one Jono

Life should be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving skidding in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!