Most common shot positions for hill stalking?

JeffYoung

My last stalking was about 30 years ago in Colorado, so I'm trying to "get back in the saddle", so to speak, in preparation for some hill stalking in Scotland.

What positions should I be brushing up on? I prefer sitting (I've a dodgy disc in my neck which isn't real fond of prone), but if most hill stalking shots are taken from a prone position then perhaps I need to get more comfortable there too.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers,
Jeff.

Hi Jeff
I have similar restrictions & suffer when shooting prone - particularly for up hill shots. - Downhill not a problem & as that is the holy grail of shots (safer, the deer are less likely to pick up your scent etc, its the position to try for & a wise stalker will work with you to get you into a comfortable spot.

If I have to shoot uphill, I find it best to not mess around for two long as the discomfort increases with time. - I can "de-stress" my neck by getting roughly into firing position & curling up forward for a few seconds, bending my spine & neck.

It's best to practice all positions as often as possible - it really pays dividends.

Ian

Why don't you simply ask the stalker on the ground that you are booking with Jeff, everywhere is going to be different. I went to Scotland a few years back expecting that any shots would be taken from the prone position on the open hill. So I put my bi-pod on the rifle and walked the hills for a week carrying around the extra weight. The only shots that I took in that week were from sticks in the standing position I could have saved myself the extra weight and awkwardness of the bi-pod.

Most shots on the true open hill in Scotland are taken prone, but much depends on the terrain you are stalking. As a rule the stalker will know the ground very well and where the deer are likely to be lying at different times of the day and weather. As a rule it is best to always keep high and get above your deer on the open hill.

Take a bipod or a set of those small collapsible sticks. In the past when I did a lot of hill culling I used a pack or at times my binoculars as well to give me some height with the rifle before taking the shot. You may be able to sit or kneel for the shot, but this may not be possible, much depends on the position the deer are in and the terrain.

Good luck

Almost all shots are taken prone and that's what the professional stalker will expect of you, perhaps it may be possible to take the odd shot from a sitting position, but that will be an exception rather than the rule.

Prone, off a bipod......all too frequently whilst lying in four inches of Scotland's finest.

When doing the check zero you will be expected to shoot from a prone position.

I've also had a few times where we've stalked up a burn or peat hag and found myself taking the shot standing, but with the bipod resting on top of the bank.

Just echoing everyone else really but genuine hill stalking for Red Deer will be from a prone position. If you have difficulty doing so then I wouldn't practice it to be honest, the zero check will be enough to give you the confidence you need in both yourself and the gun. Let us know how you get on.

Scott

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I expect my group size prone off a backpack is probably fine anyway, so it's more a matter of getting familiar with the position (and the new rifle in that position).

Sitting with a sling I'm shooting 6" groups at 100yds, so some work clearly needs to be done there.

Cheers,
Jeff.

Practice sitting and kneeling as well
disagree that prone is the only way

depends entirely on the hill and geography
last few shots I took were all sitting with some standing leaning across rocks

Most target shoots will be prone but I have shot the iron stag from other rests such as tables etc over the years. With shots of 6" from bull there are keepers out there that would refuse to take you out onto the hill. But fortunately on the hill you usually get plenty of time to get settled, comfortable for the shot beforehand when just stalking for pleasure. I'm sure you'll be fine. Great times and memories ahead. Good Luck. Gaz

With shots of 6" from bull there are keepers out there that would refuse to take you out onto the hill

I'm assuming he means totally unsupported (i.e. just sitting with sling)?!

If you feel shooting prone is going to be a problem then try sitting resting on short sticks (or long bipod). Talking to the stalker about any limitations up front would be the way forward though...

I've come across a few shooters/stalkers recently who have never shot from any other position other than prone using a bi-pod, and these weren't guys who were shooting on the open hill but who shot in woodland. The guys were totally thrown when they needed to shoot from a standing position all be it using sticks. Even shooting off the bonnet of a land rover through some slightly.

My personal opinion is that a shooter needs to be familiar with and practise shooting from various shooting positions and not just restrict themselves to shooting using a bi-pod. You never know what position you may have to adopt in the field in order to get best advantage and the most stable shooting platform available. That's why I think courses of fire for practise such as the 5 position stalkers test are a valuable training aid.

I meant a 6" group (well centered; no shot more than 3" from bull), and yes, unsupported.

My guess turned out to be a bit pessimistic -- a ruler shows a 4-1/4" group. That seems good enough for deer to a bit beyond 100yds, but I think I need to be down in the 3" range to feel comfortable at 200yds.

Supported shots are considerably better; unsupported kneeling shots considerably worse. I suppose all that is to be expected....

Cheers,
Jeff.

Sounds like I do need to get some sticks to practice with. (I'm old-school and I'm afraid a bipod offends my sense of aesthetic. :rolleyes:)

A bipod has it's good sides and has possibly avoided many deer woundings. Aestetics...? I think deer welfare is more important. I understand that bipods are cumbersome, heavy and are not great when one takes an offhand shot. I sometimes carry the bipod in the rucksack and if a longer range shot in the hills presents itself there is mostly enough time to fit the bipod.
Except for quadsticks I couldn't get on with sticks and don't use them anymore.
edi

I don't particularly like bi-pods either but I compromise by using a versa-pod so that I can quickly snap it on if necessary but am more than happy to use an improvised rest using something like a day sack for prone shots which for me are rare. I did on one occasion use my binos and hat as an improvised support for a longish (for me ) 200 yard shot, and I usually carry sticks to use for added support and practise using these from the standing, sitting and kneeling positions.

Something that amuses me is the desire that a lot of shooters have to get a sub MOA rifle that will repeatedly shoot 1/2" or less groups with good ammo yet they never practise shooting with it other than off a fixed shooting bench.
What's the point of having a 1/2" MOA rifle and a 6" MOA shooter? :stir: :D

Sounds like I do need to get some sticks to practice with. (I'm old-school and I'm afraid a bipod offends my sense of aesthetic. :rolleyes:)

The only time I use a bipod is for foxing off a vehicle roof. The ground I stalk on doesn't really lend itself to bipods, if you are lying down you can't see anything!

Try to find a set of telescopic sticks with enough adjustment range to shoot from sitting to standing. A lot don't go short enough so maybe make a mock up and find what sort of length sticks you are comfortable sitting in front of before buying. Remember if you are shooting up hill with the sticks set up in front of you they may need to be shorter still!

I use Stoney Point 3 piece sticks which cover the whole length range and seem well made too.

Alex

personally I don't think shooting stick have any place on the hill, woodland yes but the hill no, 99 times out of a 100 you will give yourself away deploying them, on the hill even sitting or kneeling will give your position away and result in a failed stalk,occasionally you may get a standing shot from rocks or a burn bank, but 99.9 times out of a 100 it will be prone whether from bipod rolled up coat, rucksack or whatever, anyone turning up to go on the hill with me with shooting sticks would be asked to leave them behind and I think its safe to say most stalkers would be the same.

When you go to the target in the morning you will be expected to shoot it from the prone position
as that is what you are most likely to be presented with on the hill, if some other position presents its self so be it but go expecting to shoot prone as that is most likely what you will encounter.

Last edited:
Back