Welsh Roebuck a first for me.

Hi All

Jonathon (243Varmint) has been kindly inviting me to try for a Roebuck with him for ages and due to the work, family hassles I have at the moment I had too keep letting him down (sorry Jon).

Anyway last Friday I finally escaped although running late straight from work. I met up with Johnathon chucked my kit in his truck and we were off.

We arrived at a lovely area where I had been before and he had seen a nice buck the week before. We got into position and had a call only getting the attention of a doe, there had been a fair bit of human activity in the area so Jon decided to head to another patch a few miles over the border into Wales.

We arrived at another farm and immediately spotted a Roe on the woodland edge at the top of a steep hill.
We formed a quick plan which was to get to a point up a track and try a call as there was very little chance of getting much closer than 400m due to the bucks vantage point.

Just as we got into position the buck melted back into the trees, we set up and I gave a call on the buttalo within a few seconds Jon spotted the buck under the trees looking our way, a few more squeaks and he was on his way down the field.

I love calling bucks and to be honest the closer the better even if I end up loosing a few opportunities :oops:. He was coming well, quite mesmerised by the call,

we lost him in the hedge once and thought he might be crossing into the next field I had move, then Jon signalled to say he was back in the original field so I had to shuffle back to my original position moving when he put his head down sniffing the ground, by know he was getting close and had several chances to shoot him in the neck but I'm wanted to come close and stand broadside don't know why but it just felt right, eventually after a bit of cat and mouse and little peeps with the call he stood perfect at about 15m close enough I think, I squeezed the trigger and he dropped to the shot. I reloaded and watched him for a few seconds but he was not going anywhere. Time to relax and a handshake from Jon.

A great hunt resulting my first Welsh roebuck and a nice tall buck he was too very pleased.

Many thanks Johnathon for your generosity and patience in keep inviting me.

Wayne

Good result!

Jon is indeed a good host - he can even tolerate a northerner now and again!! Looking forward to having him up here again after some lake fells pheasants later in the year....he can find his legs pulling up the lungbuster bracken bank. .....!!

My pleasure mate.

Glad we managed to get one.

Great to see him coming across the field like that. A pitty I didn't bring the cam corder but I don't think I could of kept it still with him that close :) :)

You have given generously to many people off this site and it's nice to see you behind the rifle for once.

See you soon

Jon

Well done wayne. Nice looking buck. They must grow good over the border eating all them leeks. I to managed to shoot my first called in buck the other week. A great excitement it is too. I did as you have and got it to 40 yds before I thought he might go through the hedge.

My pleasure mate.

Glad we managed to get one.

Great to see him coming across the field like that. A pitty I didn't bring the cam corder but I don't think I could of kept it still with him that close :) :)

You have given generously to many people off this site and it's nice to see you behind the rifle for once.

See you soon

Jon

wayne
congrats on a very good looking buck

Your last sentence is a very true statement :tiphat:

Regards pete

Well done and Waidmannsheil my friend!

As Jon said, its good to see you behind the rifle...:tiphat:

Hope to host you sooner or later on another swap hunt.....:norty:

Great result Wayne, nice head on him as well, have you weighed him yet??
My offer of a day on walked up pheasant is still there for you and Andy , whenever you have the time mate. It's close to you as well. And its not compulsory to hit them.LOL
Paul

Great result Wayne, nice head on him as well, have you weighed him yet??
My offer of a day on walked up pheasant is still there for you and Andy , whenever you have the time mate. It's close to you as well. And its not compulsory to hit them.LOL
Paul

Cheers Paul might take you up on that later in the year mate, I'll bring my .410

Back