Making a wooden high seat - recommeded coach screws

Have a look at Tool station if they stock them they will be much cheaper. Was looking for similar when making my raised beds and original fixings an indipendent co were miles cheaper than screwfix.

It appears Screwfix have gone very expensive and now rarely buy from them and use Toolstation for 99% of my stuff.

D

Have a look at Tool station if they stock them they will be much cheaper. Was looking for similar when making my raised beds and original fixings an indipendent co were miles cheaper than screwfix.

It appears Screwfix have gone very expensive and now rarely buy from them and use Toolstation for 99% of my stuff.

D

Me too. :thumb:

Aren't Screwfix now part of B&Q or Wickes?

Gents, at about 10p each I wouldn't say they are expensive. I have previously checked and Tool Station don't sell them. If you want to start a thread on Screwfix compared to Tool Station or how Screwfix has become expensive then please go ahead!:rolleyes::)

I've made 1/2 dozen wooden high seats and can recommend the turbo coach screws sold by Screwfix:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/turbo-coach-screws-m8-x-100mm-pack-of-50/78121

They come in various lengths, are cheap, have self drilling point and I've never had a problem with the wood splitting.

10mm socket for your drill and away you go.

Those look handy with the self drilling point.

I have always tended to go for the heavier weight shank taper thread traditional style coach screws in stainless steel. Although they now come with a hex head for power driving (rather than the old square heads) you definitely have to be wary of splitting. I usually go to the bother of pilot and clearance holes….very strong when done though.

Alan

Last edited:
Sorry just thought it would help some of us are on very tight budgets at present.

I have used same product when I put a new roof on my garage, and they will drill through plastic coated metal sheets OK.

I must say I would be tempted to use coach bolts on the key joints as will provide a stonger fixing.

D

D
Me to

Back