Muntjack, when and where?

Ake

I`m getting more and more fascinated by muntjacks, so I think it`s time to start planning a trip to Uk to try my luck at getting one. But as far as I understand you guys hunt them all year around? So which time of year should I plan my trip? And which part of your island is the best for muntjack? I don`t have to shoot a mega gold medal one, a cull would maybe be just as good.

I`m getting more and more fascinated by muntjacks, so I think it`s time to start planning a trip to Uk to try my luck at getting one. But as far as I understand you guys hunt them all year around? So which time of year should I plan my trip? And which part of your island is the best for muntjack? I don`t have to shoot a mega gold medal one, a cull would maybe be just as good.
february / match would be a good time I've never hunted with him but sikamalc has an excellent reputation and plenty of muntys on his ground by the looks of things

Autumn winter when the covers died down a bit ,as your in Norway maybe you could try a hunt swap plenty of lads on here go abroad what would you have on offer if that was a consideration ?
Regards N

Try Muntjacstalker on here, his ground is in Bedfordshire and it's has LOTS of muntjac on it!!! Shouldn't be a problem getting one there (I have been out with him a few times and never blanked).

After Christmas when (and if) we have had a good snow fall.
I shoot a lot of them and it is a lot easier when the cover is down.
Cull bucks anywhere in east Anglia is good. Personally I think Chris Rogers at Euston is good.

Thanks for the replies, October is the worst month for me, moose season usually takes all the spare time that month, November are also pretty active here. But after that I should be good to go. I will have a look at the different sites and people you guys have mentioned.

A swap hunt could be a idea, but game are pretty scarce up here compared to what you guys are used to. I have access to roe deer and moose, and some small game, not a great area for capricaille but shot one last year.

DSC_1968.jpg
March can be a good time for Munties. I have three leases covering over 2,500 acres. 4 of us over 4 outings took 9 Muntjac and 2 were missed.
DSC_1973.jpg
A couple will probably go medal (Bronze, one possibly silver)

Fees are £75 per stalk no kill fees on bucks or does. Medal heads £250 whatever grade. I still have some room left in March, but January and parts of February are booked already. There are also CWD on the estate.

Let me know if I can be of help.

ATB

Sikamalc

I've always stalked them in Winter and early Spring, when the fields are bare and there isn't too much undergrowth. Afterwards, they're just invisible. If you go in March and Spring is a bit early, you can stalk them in woodland covered in bluebells, which is just beautiful and may make your trip a bit special. Willie_Gunn on here has taken me stalking in just such a wood and is very helpful indeed. So is SikaMalc of course, but I don't know if he offers bluebell woods!

I've always stalked them in Winter and early Spring, when the fields are bare and there isn't too much undergrowth. Afterwards, they're just invisible. If you go in March and Spring is a bit early, you can stalk them in woodland covered in bluebells, which is just beautiful and may make your trip a bit special. Willie_Gunn on here has taken me stalking in just such a wood and is very helpful indeed. So is SikaMalc of course, but I don't know if he offers bluebell woods!

No bluebell woods, just loads of Munties. Its an area you have yet to hunt with me young Lawrence, but will do when you return late winter :D

Yep; come and kill them all please. Them and Chinese Water deer. And as many Fenland roe deer as possible

I shot one recently feeding on Oil Seed Rape regrowth after the crop was cut in July. OSR is now less than 6" high and just right for them.

Thanks for the input guys, I have several possibilities I have to look up now. And I have to find out when I can get some time of work as well, I already have a trip to Germany planned in November so it looks like early spring will be the best time for me. I guess the easiest is to borrow/rent a rifle when I arrive? I`ve heard Heathrow is a nightmare with guns.
Are there any hunting license or things like that I must have? It was quite a bit of paperwork to get my German Jagdschein, so I have a Norwegian and German hunting license if that helps.

If you're going to borrow a rifle here from your guide (estate rifle) then you don't need any permits or licences at all.

Thanks for the input guys, I have several possibilities I have to look up now. And I have to find out when I can get some time of work as well, I already have a trip to Germany planned in November so it looks like early spring will be the best time for me. I guess the easiest is to borrow/rent a rifle when I arrive? I`ve heard Heathrow is a nightmare with guns.
Are there any hunting license or things like that I must have? It was quite a bit of paperwork to get my German Jagdschein, so I have a Norwegian and German hunting license if that helps.

Ake,
As has been mentioned you can use an estate rifle without a FA certificate providing the owner of the rifle is with you at all times. Getting a Visitors Firearms Permit for overseas people to bring their own rifles into the UK is not a great hassle.

You would need to email a copy of your EU Firearms permit over to the agent/stalker/outfitter and your personal details. They then fill in and apply for your permit and pay £12. The permit once received is posted to you and you show the permit to customs on entry and exit from the UK. There should not be any issue at all.

There are no hunting licences required.

As I have already mentioned to you March can be a good time for Muntjac and I still have some dates open at the moment in mid to late March. I am however booked solid from mid September through to mid January.

Good luck with your research on the trip.

Sikamalc

Hi i live in suffolk and we are getting taken over by them. Hockham deer management and anglia sporting may be worth a try.

Back