12g reloading !!!!!!!!

jonny.c

RIGHT CHAPS JUST A QUICK ONE AS TO WHO CAN TELL ME WHY!!! DO YOU HAVE 6 & 8 POINT CRIMPS ?? I RELOAD MY OWN AND THE ONLY THING I CAN SEE & TELL IS A 6 POINT CRIMP LOOKS A LOT BETTER TO THE 8 POINT CRIMP USING NEW CASES !!!!

I HAVE DONE A FEW TESTS AT 35 45 YARDS USING THE SAME LOAD 40GRAMS NO.4 SHOT 2 3/4 SHELL B&P-Z15 WAD AND NO DIFFRENCE TO PATTERN ???? EVEN USING AN IMPROVED TO OPEN CHOKE????

SO IF SOMEONE COULD SHINE A LITTLE LIGHT ON THIS IT WOULD NOT ONLY BE HELPFUL BUT CLEAR THE AIR:eek:

THANKS
JON

if and when i reload with my old mec 600 Jn , I use to use a 6 and 8 depends what used cases i was reloading , may just be being tight using old winchester AA shell cases , sorry not a clue for new cases as i have buckets of old shell cases . If it works then go with it feller end result out on the fleet is what matters .

Right chaps, just a quick one as to who can tell me why do you have 6 & 8 point crimps?

I reload my own and the only thing I can see & tell is a 6-point crimp looks a lot better to the 8-point crimp using new cases!

I have done a few tests at 35-45 yards using the same load (40 grams no.4 shot, 2 3/4 shell B & P Z15 wad) and no difference to pattern, even using an improved to open choke.

So if someone could shine a little light on this it would not only be helpful but clear the air.

Thanks

Jon

Easy on the caps-lock, John!

The accepted wisdom is that the 6-point style came first and the 8-point style was introduced later, specifically to provide a better seal when smaller shot was used.

Consequently, some manufacturers still give their heavier loads a 6-point crimp (a bit like belts on Magnum rifle cartridges, or high "brass" on shotgun cartridges: it says more than it does!). Across the board, however, an 8-point crimp has become standard for loads of all types.

As you have observed, whether a cartridge receives a 6- or 8-point crimp seems to make no practical difference to the pattern, and if you shoot your loads over a chrono you'll find the crimp type makes no difference to velocity either.

I only use a 6-point crimp, therefore, when I have some good used cases which were originally crimped that way. But if you prefer the 6-point look there's no reason not to stick with it, unless you decide to load #8 shot or smaller, when it's harder to get a crimp that doesn't "leak" shot.

HTH

SORRY!

Many thanks for your info

Thanks
Jon

Easy on the caps-lock, John!

The accepted wisdom is that the 6-point style came first and the 8-point style was introduced later, specifically to provide a better seal when smaller shot was used.

Consequently, some manufacturers still give their heavier loads a 6-point crimp (a bit like belts on Magnum rifle cartridges, or high "brass" on shotgun cartridges: it says more than it does!). Across the board, however, an 8-point crimp has become standard for loads of all types.

As you have observed, whether a cartridge receives a 6- or 8-point crimp seems to make no practical difference to the pattern, and if you shoot your loads over a chrono you'll find the crimp type makes no difference to velocity either.

I only use a 6-point crimp, therefore, when I have some good used cases which were originally crimped that way. But if you prefer the 6-point look there's no reason not to stick with it, unless you decide to load #8 shot or smaller, when it's harder to get a crimp that doesn't "leak" shot.

HTH

Back