Deer Capture & Relocation

Jelendeer

Animal Capture UK (ACUK) - Part of the Jelen Group - successfully captured an entire herd of 24 Pere David deer from a small park near Hockham, Norfolk.

The success of the operation relied on several crucial factors, one of the main ones being the 'conditioning' of the deer for some weeks prior to capture day. We advised Kerrie, the owner, to feed the deer every day from the same vehicle that the animals became accustomed to.

Whilst it was important to use the same vehicle, it was equally important to feed at different times of the day so the animals didn't get accustomed to feeding at regular times. Initially we darted the bulls first and then the most nervous animals. The plan worked perfectly and allowed us to dart all the bulls in less than an hour.

The fewer animals left, the more nervous they became and so as the day wore on, we then began to use two vehicles and one operator located in a tree within woodland where the deer went for cover.

Team ACUK.jpg
ACUK PD Darting Picture.jpgPD Calves.jpg

The entire operation was completed in less than 10 hours, with no injuries, and no losses.

ACUK have now engaged two new Live Capture Operators on our National Team. Adam Godley and Deidre Dyer, who after intense training from ACUK and Jelen carried out important administrative and operational duties recording vital data to ensure the well-being of the animals during and after capture. Adam darted his first deer in fine style, and Deidre will be darting her first deer next week during our annual de-antlering work on farms and parks throughout the south and southwest of England.

Remote Chemical injection is now being recognised as a vital aid to the management of park and farmed deer, and this week has proved just how useful it can be in aiding stress-free management and handling of deer.

All those involved worked tirelessly for the whole day, and moving 250 Kg+ onto the top deck of the transporter meant that everyone parted with some sweat! My sincere thanks goes to:

Kerrie Jackson - (Hockham Deer Management Group)
Deidre Dyer - (Researcher & RCI Operator - Jelen Deer Services)
Malcolm Brown - (Director of Jelen Deer Services & RCI Operator)
Adam Godley - (Conservation Consultant & RCI Operator - Jelen Deer Services)
Scott Brown - (Trainee Field Operator & RCI Assistant - Jelen Deer Services)
Andy - (Driver - Gordon Gilder Livestock Transport Ltd.)

Regards,

Mike

Mike Allison
Managing Director - Jelen Deer Services
01264 811155

Interesting stuff mike glad it went well a friend of mine is moving thier red herd possibly next year to thier new property and I hope to be involved in that .
regards doug

Last edited:
I am glad it went well for you sounded like a good day for all. we have heard that you also sent a few big red stags over on the corran ferry nr Fortwilliam to there final destination is this correct or are we on the wrong page? sorry new info it was a full lorry load, the haulage firm was from the south.

Last edited:
Interesting stuff mike glad it went well a friend of mine is moving thier red herd possibly next year to thier new property and I hope to be involved in that .
regards doug

If you need RCI Operators, do let us know. We'd be happy to help.

Best regards,

Mike.

Mike Allison
01264 811155

Remote Chemical injection is now being recognised as a vital aid to the management of park and farmed deer, and this week has proved just how useful it can be in aiding stress-free management and handling of deer.

I think the rest of the world has been aware of this for decades. The old saying is "you can't run a deer enterprise off the end of a dart gun, but you can't run one without one either".

Sounds like it was a great day. How do you find the temperament of Pere David's relative to reds or fallow? Is capture myopathy more or less of a problem with them relative to other species. How do you find them when in the yards & paddock relative to the others? We don't have Pere David deer in Aust (maybe one day?) but there are some in NZ & many other countries seem to have them now.

Thanks
Sharkey

I think the rest of the world has been aware of this for decades. The old saying is "you can't run a deer enterprise off the end of a dart gun, but you can't run one without one either".

Sounds like it was a great day. How do you find the temperament of Pere David's relative to reds or fallow? Is capture myopathy more or less of a problem with them relative to other species. How do you find them when in the yards & paddock relative to the others? We don't have Pere David deer in Aust (maybe one day?) but there are some in NZ & many other countries seem to have them now.

Thanks
Sharkey

Hi Sharkey,

My own personal experience of them is that they tame down really well, but once you start handling them they stress out pretty quickly unless you have a good handling system and good handlers. Reds are much better in a handling system. PD's are a bit big when they start throwing themselves about so careful handling and well designed systems are crucial. They do tend to throw themselves around more and more susceptible to self-harming through attempting to get away. Temperament-wise, I reckon they could be a problem during the rut, more so than Reds. I'd certainly be more careful around lairy PD bulls. The ones I've seen appear to be more aggressive.

Julian Stoyel at Houghton has probably got the best handling facilities and experience of handling PD's of anyone in the UK.

Regarding Capture Myopathy, then I reckon that all deer are susceptible to it if handled incorrectly, but I would say that PD's stress out much the same of Fallow.

I think that managed correctly, PD's could be a brilliant source of quality venison and big carcasses! … But one of the main issues is calving difficulties caused by them getting over-fat. If you can keep the condition right through careful grassland management and feeding, then they have certainly got something going for them.

Is anyone farming the commercially in NZ?

Regards,

Mike.

Mike Allison
01264 811155

As long as they get the withdrawal period right, I know some people are bowled over by venison, but not in the etorphine M99 sense:stir:

Immobilon works brilliantly on PD's, and you only need about about 1ml for a big PD bull, whereas you'd need up to 3ml for a BIG Red stag to achieve the same results.

We used Rompun & Ketamine on these ones and it worked like a dream. It would be nice to think that we could use the same on pre-rut Red stags with the same level of reliability.

Regards,

Mike.

Mike Allison
01264 811155

The deer all arrived safe and well a credit to Mike and his team, and they will now add to the expanding deer park operation and allow us to take full advantage of the distillery draft. We hope to be providing top quality Red deer stock for sale from next year off our hardy Ardnamurchan hinds crossed with some first class English and European Stags. For anyone interested in live purchase of Pere David this should be available from 2016 onwards.
Deer farming and venison is on the rise and the rapid decline across may parts the highlands of wild Red deer means its going to play an important role in the future - Its worth getting involved :D

Your true talent as a detective has not been recognized by anyone here yet?:D As you know there are only two deer parks west of Corran and it doesn't take the brains of an Archbishop to realise that Johns park at Mingary is to small to cope with big deer like Pere David. Although for many these days investing in deer welfare other than when shooting them is not a common practice, for us its essential. We are making an effort to produce a range of products to meet expanding market demand and producing large animals in the Park is an important part of this it secures jobs brings tourists and adds a realistic value to deer instead of them being treated as a problem. Trophy animals and venison are sought after commodities by many and it adds well to traditional hill stalking allowing increased income across all functions. In the near future you will also see truck loads of deer going the other way as we start to catch - up and feed on calves for sale into the farming sector. Thanks for the interest as one man said there is only one thing worse than people speaking about you and that's no one speaking about you.

I am glad it went well for you sounded like a good day for all. we have heard that you also sent a few big red stags over on the corran ferry nr Fortwilliam to there final destination is this correct or are we on the wrong page? sorry new info it was a full lorry load, the haulage firm was from the south.

Last edited:
that's just braw that your taking large park deer in to the west coast, westpoint. and I wish you all the very best with it and your new distillery, it is an important role that you are involved in, ATB David and thanks for the reply.

will we see Pierre David,s deer at Ardnamurchan soon Mike.

Hi Davie,

PD's have been there for some time, and the herd at Ardnamurchan has certainly thrived in the West Highland environment. This particular herd is fast developing as the nucleus of an important breeding centre for genetically superior animals.

The carefully managed herd of Red deer at Ardnamurchan will provide a future source of quality genetics. Highland estates that take the future of their deer quality seriously can benefit from what Ardnamurchan will have to offer in due course.

It appears that in some areas (but not all) over the last 40 years, the quality of Highland Reds has become somewhat depleted through indiscriminate shooting of quality animals with apparently little thought about what the long-term consequences might be. This has not only had a negative impact on Highland Red deer as a species, but it has had an equally negative influence on the rural economy at many levels.

What Ardnamurchan has shown is that it is entirely possible to achieve environmental harmony, with Red deer being very much an integral part of that - but not the only focal point.

We (Jelen) are proud to be involved in the initiative going on there. There are certainly exciting times ahead - especially with increasing interest in commercial deer farming nationally, and the growing demand for quality product.

Its easy for some to be cynical, but I'd recommend keeping an eye on Ardnamurchan in the future.

Regards,

Mike.

Mike Allison
01264 811155

Mike I think its great the people who were responsible for shooting the Red deer in some area to near extinction have a lot to answer for certainly quality of the stags went down . The deer panels at that time were only focused on mass reductions of the red deer population .WestPoint I am sure can hold his head up high that he is starting to right the wrongs of others. Not to sure if the answer is to bring up some big reds stags to inject some new genes into the animals but hey if it works why not.

Immobilon works brilliantly on PD's, and you only need about about 1ml for a big PD bull, whereas you'd need up to 3ml for a BIG Red stag to achieve the same results.

We used Rompun & Ketamine on these ones and it worked like a dream. It would be nice to think that we could use the same on pre-rut Red stags with the same level of reliability.

Regards,

Mike.

Mike Allison
01264 811155

Interesting information Mike, did you use a licensed vet to prescribe the doses applied in the dart gun for each animal, or do you store the drugs "in house" and administer prescribe yourselves?

In the latter case do you need controlled drug accreditation / licencing etc to store and administer / prescribe these drugs (Immobilon, Ketamine, Rompun)?

Last edited:
Hi Sharkey,

My own personal experience of them is that they tame down really well, but once you start handling them they stress out pretty quickly unless you have a good handling system and good handlers. Reds are much better in a handling system. PD's are a bit big when they start throwing themselves about so careful handling and well designed systems are crucial. They do tend to throw themselves around more and more susceptible to self-harming through attempting to get away. Temperament-wise, I reckon they could be a problem during the rut, more so than Reds. I'd certainly be more careful around lairy PD bulls. The ones I've seen appear to be more aggressive.

Julian Stoyel at Houghton has probably got the best handling facilities and experience of handling PD's of anyone in the UK.

Regarding Capture Myopathy, then I reckon that all deer are susceptible to it if handled incorrectly, but I would say that PD's stress out much the same of Fallow.

I think that managed correctly, PD's could be a brilliant source of quality venison and big carcasses! … But one of the main issues is calving difficulties caused by them getting over-fat. If you can keep the condition right through careful grassland management and feeding, then they have certainly got something going for them.

Is anyone farming the commercially in NZ?

Regards,

Mike.

Mike Allison
01264 811155

G'day Mike.

A bit more like elk than reds?

The Kiwis were looking at them for venison production & this also included hybridising them with reds to move the calving dates around. Similar to the use of persian fallow genetics down here for increased body size, but moreso because they fawn several weeks before Dama dama & fawns can make better use of the spring flush. I know that the kiwi ones were sourced from Woburn & they came encumbered with some agreements about what could & couldn't be done with them.

I just remembered that they are much more susceptible to MCF than reds are, & in a land which loves sheep even more than we do, animals which go down quickly to sheep borne viruses don't usually thrive.

Thanks for your observations on Pere David's, I love learning about the different species & different handling & management practices.

Rather than the ketamine/xylazine brew, I use zoletil/xylazine on red stags, & most other species these days, including several asiatic species. Its a lot smoother on the animals than the ketamine/xylazine mix, & without any of the nasty side effects from ketamine. If there is a problem with the withholding periods on zoletil, then maybe discuss with your prescribing vet about adding diazepam to your ketamine/xylazine mix, you should be even happier with the results, & if there is transport involved with the capture it helps with that too.

Cheers Sharkey

Edit to add bit on MCF.

Last edited:
G'day Mike.

A bit more like elk than reds?

The Kiwis were looking at them for venison production & this also included hybridising them with reds to move the calving dates around. Similar to the use of persian fallow genetics down here for increased body size, but moreso because they fawn several weeks before Dama dama & fawns can make better use of the spring flush. I know that the kiwi ones were sourced from Woburn & they came encumbered with some agreements about what could & couldn't be done with them.

I just remembered that they are much more susceptible to MCF than reds are, & in a land which loves sheep even more than we do, animals which go down quickly to sheep borne viruses don't usually thrive.

Thanks for your observations on Pere David's, I love learning about the different species & different handling & management practices.

Rather than the ketamine/xylazine brew, I use zoletil/xylazine on red stags, & most other species these days, including several asiatic species. Its a lot smoother on the animals than the ketamine/xylazine mix, & without any of the nasty side effects from ketamine. If there is a problem with the withholding periods on zoletil, then maybe discuss with your prescribing vet about adding diazepam to your ketamine/xylazine mix, you should be even happier with the results, & if there is transport involved with the capture it helps with that too.

Cheers Sharkey

Edit to add bit on MCF.

Hi Sharkey,

Yes they are very similar to the Elk in that respect. I know the elk/red crosses used over here some years ago presented many temperament problems, one of the main reasons why few use them now.

MCF is a big problem with PD's, we bought a small herd of PD's 25 years ago and put them on our deer farm in Wales. they were only there about a month and then they died at the rate of one a day until there was just one left. The first casualty was sent to the VI centre, and by the time the diagnosis of MCF got back to us, they were virtually all dead. I culled the last one.

There was a flock of sheep only about 50m from our boundary, and apparently the PD's picked up the MCF on the wind!

A friend of mine used Zoletil/Xylazine on Reds and it was quite a swift knock down, which I was impressed with, but even when reversed with Atipam they took a LONG time to come around. It was a bit worrying for one or two of them. How do you reverse Zoletil/Xylazine? We are currently discussing alternatives to Etorphine with our Vet for de-antlering of Red stags, Since Immobilon is now not being produced & M99 is now hard to get hold of due to the massive relocation project of White Rhino from Kruger park. SA vets are now keeping their stocks of M99 to facilitate this.

I'd be interested to hear of your dose rates for Zoletil/Xylazine and the additional Diazepam. Do you think it would be good for de-antlering BIG Red stags (300+ Kgs)? Perhaps you could PM me on this.

Regards,

Mike.

Mike Allison
01264 811155

Interesting information Mike, did you use a licensed vet to prescribe the doses applied in the dart gun for each animal, or do you store the drugs "in house" and administer prescribe yourselves?

In the latter case do you need controlled drug accreditation / licencing etc to store and administer / prescribe these drugs (Immobilon, Ketamine, Rompun)?

Thanks for your post Redmist,

ALL drugs administered by us are prescribed by the Vet who normally cares for the animals. In cases where Vets do not possess the necessary drugs - especially in emergency situations - then we get our own Vet to speak to the other Vet concerned, and agreement is made between them for ACUK to administer the drugs under our Vet's direction.

We can only store drugs that are prescribed by our own Vet for use on our own animals which are under his care.

For EVERY animal that we dart for the purpose of administering sedatives/immobilising drugs, and even antibiotics, multi-vitamins etc. a detailed case report is kept in each case, and copies of this are duplicated and submitted to our Vet, the owner of the animal/s, AND any other Vets with an interest in the welfare of the animal/s concerned, as well as copies maintained for our own records.

The case reports are very detailed and comprise of information relating to the drug/s used, purpose of darting, effects at all stages of sedation - including timings - so that we have reliable data for use in the future should we be faced with the same species/conditions and drugs availability. As with all data recording, it is the negative aspects of what we do that are the most important. Where things don't go to plan, then we analyse what happened, the circumstances, drugs and dose rates used, so that should we experience similar circumstances in the future, then we have recorded data that will help us eliminate or at least reduce potential risks.

We have probably one of the best records for successful darting and movement of animals in the country, this is because we leave nothing to chance. Everything is carefully planned, and close liaison with the Veterinary profession ensure that we have a total support strategy in place BEFORE attempting any RCI work.

Regards,

Mike.

Mike Allison
Managing Director - Jelen Deer Services & ACUK
01264 811155

Hi Tramp,

MCF is Malignant Catarrhal Fever. It is caused by an organism that most sheep carry. It is almost always sub-clinical in sheep, but some deer - especially Pere David's deer - are very susceptible to the disease and go on to develop clinical symptoms.

MCF in Red Deer.jpg

MCF can be airborne so cross-infection can occur between sheep and deer without the need for direct contact. It is almost always fatal.

Regards,

Mike.

Mike Allison
01264 811155

Last edited:
Back