Moving counties question

Peter Eaton

At present I have an open certificate with various calibres on it. If in the future I was to move to another county are the police in that county able to put restrictions on the certificate just because I have changed police departments. Please note this hasn't happened it is just what I was told by another could happen.

Many thanks

Look at the BASC website. They have or at least had clear advise as to all that is legally required of you should you move house and more specifically move to another force area. It should be a relatively simple process of simply notifying your issuing chief constable of change of address but people (shooters and FEOs) have a habit of complicating the matter.

I've moved from county to county a number of times due to jobs. You should not loose out when moving. If anything you can gain by taking unrestrictive conditions to the next county that may not have given them to you in the previous one (sensible ammo quantities, aolq etc). If you find something is changed then do your homework and politely dig your heels in. Get advice if needed. You shouldn't have a problem though.

I had no issues with reduction of conditions. Quite the opposite in fact. They should not change your conditions just because you've moved - as you may not have moved your shooting. When you do move, the requirement is to notify the PA you are moving from - nothing required for the PA you're moving to. At some point the records will get tied up and they might pop round for an intro and a cabinet check - mine took 12 weeks to materialise.....but remember you're not being reassessed. That may come on variation or renewal, but still shouldn't limit you. I still have larger ammo allowances than some of my local friends here as an example.

Pardon my innocence but what is a PA Eric?
Is it some new fangled name for the Chief Constable by any chance as he is the guy under whose name certificates are issued.

Last edited:
At present I have an open certificate with various calibres on it. If in the future I was to move to another county are the police in that county able to put restrictions on the certificate just because I have changed police departments. Please note this hasn't happened it is just what I was told by another could happen.

Many thanks

Chickenman, your current FAC with its conditions is valid for its life no matter what county you live in, you are only obliged by law to inforn your current licensing authority of your move to a different county, they will in turn notify your new area.
If your new area FEO turns up wanting you to change your FAC to the new county remind that him that you dont need to.
However if you are living in the new area whan your current FAC expires you will have to renew with your new licensing authority, that could bring less or more restrictive conditions depending on the new areas policy.

Ian.

Back