Thread: Gwp and Basic training

Gwp and Basic training

Hi there. I'm new to this and looking for some advice on training my first gwp. He's a dog pup 8 months old and I'm starting to worry that I'm falling behind on training. He's walking nice on the lead and sitting on command but as soon as the lead is off his neck I can't do a thing with him, he just wants to mess around and play. I have herd that they are slower to mature than other gun dog breeds. I just want to be able to get him to come back to the recall, walk to heel and retrieve. Any advice would be much appreciated.

My advice is post an intro before admin jump on you
    Further to that, there ate plenty of people on here who are experienced with training dogs, all will have their own ways and ideas. Have a look at the puppy diaries on my blog if you want to see what I've been doing with my pup so far, although I'm by no means an expert or even particularly experienced.
    One piece of advise I've had from others time and time again is this: "don't rush the dog" at 8 months your puppy still has a load of growing up to do and it's bound to get distracted by things. Take your time, start off teaching it at home in the garden or whatever, then take it to a familiar outside place with few distractions, then work up to other places.
    Good luck, I'm sure one or two of the more experienced guys will be able to help.
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY

I'd say make coming back to you a game pal he still "as said above " a pup and wants to play so play, get him to want to come to you, lay on floor in submitting position and put on a silly high pitch exciting voice, then when he comes don't for gods sake put him on a leader straight away let him come and go freely for a while
    If he's running off after something don't call him back as that will teach him to ignore you as sorry but your not as interesting as what's in his mind at that moment in time. Wait till he's explored it then call him and run like a bugger in opposite direction.
    Stick with it and be consistent so as not to confuse him.

GWP are slow to mature, 3 years before they stop being a pup in mind. I wouldnt feel you are falling behind with training because there isnt really a time limit.

Hi Callum.

I have heard good things about the dog training place in Killin(black Isle). They might be able to assist with the basics. Im currently traing my lab that is 5 months old. she is walking to heel and is following blood/deer scent already.

Also i have afew friends with gun dogs the may take you out so your dog can learn off theirs. if i can be any help please pm me.

Quite a few very decent hpr trainers up there and i think a few decent active hpr clubs that could help u.
    Off the top of my head, Mick cannon (won the champs this year) althou he runs gsp's, also ann johnstone who trains and breeds gwp, both of those are a panel judeges and will be involved inthe clubs up there. Usually a few from the highlands come down so will be plenty of bodies up there to help u.
    Think there was just a trial ran at drummocer last week, always a good way to see wot ur dog is capable of and meet trainers/get free advice

As has been said hpr's and esp gwp's are very different from more normal breeds and each dog tends to be an individual and can be completely different from its litter mates, so just work at the pace that suits ur dog. U never said wot ur wanting to train it for? Gun? deer?
    My 3 yr old is still like that, u shuld see him with my young lab pup.

Rory major's dvd is quite good, althou dear, tommy brechany has an acient 1 which is also very good if u can find it