Thread: Hi from Cornwall

Hi from Cornwall

So, introduction!

My name is Mike and I live in S/E Cornwall not too far from the river Tamar. I have been shooting for the best part of 50 years, mainly shotgun but did have a rim fire FAC for 20 years back in the 70s/80s but gave that up when the kids came along and work took all my time.... bet many of you know what I men. Started planning for my retirement in a few years time so got an FAC and have a .22LR CZ452 and an Anschutz .17HMR. Have now got permission for a .243 for fox and to get into stalking, looking to buy it soon but at the moment will only be able to use it with a mentor. That won't be a bad thing as being a newbie to stalking deer I have a lot to learn. Intend doing DSC1 in the new year. Looking forward to following the forums (and classifieds) to help will in the gaps and as to which gun to buy.

nice to meet you all.

Welcome to the site,

A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Thanks guys. Been reading some of the posts about which .243 to buy and like everyone its difficult to decide whether to spend a little on a Tikka or Browning or spend a lot more on a Sako 85 and, whether to buy new or 2nd Hand in order to get best value for money (not had a centre fire before), bearing in mind I am cornish, short arms and deep pockets! Every time I think i have made my mind up a post comes up detracting from it. I don't expect to be firing a lot of rounds so an epensive rifle would be rather a waste sat in the cabinet when a much cheaper rifle will do the same job. Still I am not in a great hurry and something will come along 'dreckly'.

You won't go wrong with Tikka.
    Accurate, reliable, hold their value well, what's not to like ?
    As you say you can pay more and get a Sako etc but in terms of performance ie rounds on target a Tikka does it again and again....
    Nothing wrong with second hand either...use the saving to get the best scope possible.
    Last edited by private fraser; 26-08-2014 at 21:49.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

Welcome to the site! My advice buy once, cry once! Don't be afraid of 2nd hand mate bought a sako 75 with a Schmidt 8x56 2nd hand for 1100 with mod and bullets and bag from gun room in ivybridge and that in my opinion is the ultimate setup!
    Look about in for sale sections on here

Welcome to SD from a fellow caradon dweller.......

Thanks 2130martin,

Nice to hear from other cornwall members

I'm at Stoke Climsland if you know the area......

Quote Originally Posted by Mikesm11 View Post
    Thanks 2130martin,

Nice to hear from other cornwall members

I'm at Stoke Climsland if you know the area......
    Nice few Reds down that way along with the Roe..........

I am at Liskeard