>22 rimfire shot cartridges.

They are extremely effective for crop protection!!!

When Cabbage White Butterflys are attacking your Brassicas.

:rofl:+1 and only then at close range,0-1 yard!!.........i bought four boxes thinking i had plenty of little jobs they would satisfy....how wrong was I!!!!:doh:

There was some kind of argument about them being "metallic cartridges" and therefore S1, but I can't remember who made it or what section of the legislation they brought up (actually I think they were referring to the 9mm Flobert, but the argument would apply)

As far as I can tell, there are two things you need to know about them.

They are ineffective at anything more than a couple of feet.

They don't work well out of a rifled barrel.

Not many positive comments on .22 shotshells so far.

I have used them effectively on rats in a shed out of a bolt action and semi-auto rifle (need to manually cycle them in the semi auto. Range has probably never exceeded 5m. I mounted a torch on the stock with the centre of the beam on the aiming point so one just needs to look and shoot. They do a little bit of damage to woodwork etc. I've also shot two snakes with them, one a point blank and other at maybe 5m. I've used both cci shells with blue plastic tips and the crimped Winchester super x ones.

I wouldn't try them on birds or anything bigger than rats. It would be a good idea to wear safety glasses for ricochets if in an enclosed area.

Cheers

I inherited a box of these some time ago and have never even opened the box, this interesting thread has enlightened me. Anyone any thoughts on there use for dispatch of trapped mink, i.e. still in the trap and safety goggles worn. Thanks Tom

During the recent ammo panic the one type of .22 ammo that was still on US dealers' shelves was .22 shot...which should tell you something. I did some informal "testing" on the crimped type of ratshot on some carboard boxes - at about 7 yards it didn't consistently penetrate and patterns were atrocious. Personally I'd suggest an airgun or a cat.

I have the 22lr rat shot number 12 I think. Good for despatching trapped vermin and inside barns. Never tried it out of my 22, I use a chamber adapter and fire it through the 12, good for 3 or 4 yards max.

I knew that I had seen this gun somewhere. Look for the Mossberg Targo, it had a small clay thrower mounted under the barrel and a smoothbore. It was designed so that you released the tiny clay with your forehand and then used shotshells to take it oout of the air. It was invented in the mid 1940's even though the .22 shotshell had been aroound since the turn of the century. They are collectors pieces now, fetching STUPID money (when you can find one that is).

I purchased some federal ones a few years back, thinking they might be ok for very close up pigeons roosting in a barn. The brass case has a crimped end. I put a few through my Anschutz 1417 and fired them at an old plank of wood at a distance of about 10 feet, most of the shot failed to even penetrate the plank and bounced straight back, giving me zero confidence in their ability to dispatch much more than a mouse let alone a pigeon.

The empty case wouldn’t eject on pulling back the bolt either, it just stayed stuck in the chamber. I had to insert a cleaning rod down the end of the barrel and push it through to the chamber to get the case out. I gave the remaining ones away.

I have read that the CCI ones - with a see through plastic containing cup on the end might perform a better. I would definitely test them for function and performance before using them on anything alive though.

Do they count against my .22 RF holding on ticket, or are they shot gun cartridges?
No AS LONG AS they contain five or more shot none of which exceed .36 in diameter. Which if they did (nothwithstanding they'd not fit...LOL) they'd be s1. They are also as another said useless. I think that rats and squirrels are more at risk of harm from bad weather than ever they are from the hazard of being shot at with a .22 RF shotshell.

ONE IMPORTANT CAVEAT - USING A .22 RF SHOTSHELL IN A S1 FIREARM DOES NOT MEAN THAT THE "CONDITIONS" ON THAT S1 FIREARM ARE NEGATED. A .22RF FIREARM POSSESSED FOR "TARGET USE ONLY" WILL BE IN BREACH OF CONDITION IF USED ON VERMIN EVEN THOUGH YOU ARE USING JUST .22RF SHOTSHELLS!

Back