Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: the holy grail calibre

the holy grail calibre

I find myself looking through all the classified s on different sites and there doesnt seem to be a particular calibre you dont see for sell, do people get bored of them, fancy a change, dont like the calibre, dont like the rifle, I too have changed things around but not for any of them reasons, ive had about 6 different calibres and thought they were all good, I do like the hme stuff but dont need them, I would like to read others opinions on why they change calibres, regards swaro

Whatever the reason, it cannot be anything much to do with function. As has been said many times pretty well any deer legal cartridge at modest ranges will do the trick. So it must be the desire to do more than just do the job adequately that drives the experimentation with calibres.

Don't underestimate fashion. For example, 6.5x55 is presently very well regarded whilst 30/06 is widely thought to be "too much" and the formerly popular 7x57 mauser now seems to be difficult to find. Since they and so many others do much the same thing over 100 yards...
    Last edited by LeftHandGuy; 29-08-2014 at 08:45.

I guess any of the classics will do. The ones that have stood the test of time have done it for good reasons.

I don't swap calibres just add to the ongoing collection, my go to rifle is 270 but i have now various other rifles for different jobs, I don't like to part with any,lol
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site:
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

I dont want too many rifles,some do, my cz52 is the rifle ive had the longest, must be 12 or 13 years, that wont be going for sure, its my fave, I know what you mean about fashionable, the 260 is in, ive got one down on my ticket for a barrel, got the modified case etc, still not sure if thats the way I want to go, when I text my mate about the 260,6.5 creedmoor,6.5x47, he always replies not that old chestnut again

Quote Originally Posted by swarovski View Post
    I dont want too many rifles
    There's no such thing as "too many rifles" .
    Last edited by Harry mac; 02-09-2014 at 02:51.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry mac View Post
    There's no such thing as "too many rifle .

Yorkshireman in Darkest Cornwall
    Non hand loaders maybe? 308 or 30-06 can be mets around with and do alsorts.
    If you are buying factory though and just what's available locally then a change in calibre opens up other options.

I'm happy with what I have and wouldn't change. Although I am without a deer rifle at the moment...

the 'holy grail calibre' is quite simply non existent. they will all do the same job with the right bullet placement and ammo choice at a given distance. Some calibres are more suited to certain species given their skin thickness and potential fat layers under the skin, and some are more suited to head or neck shooting over tall crops, etc. some to woodland, and so on.

if you're thinking 'uk deer', boar, small to mid plains game and maybe moose, you will probably be looking at the 7mm to 30cal, in which they will all do the same thing.

personally, I have come to the conclusion that the good old 7mm Mauser is the ultimate for any european game and a lot of potential plains game, make of it what you will