teethy critter

ejg

Found this in front of the house on the shore of a saltwater river in Ireland.
Any idea what it could be ?
DSC_0935_zps293efdbf.jpg

DSC_0933_zpsab86ad69.jpg

edi

Not a seal, they have canines and then regular sized teeth behind. Only thing I know with irregular shaped teeth like that is a pike

Others on a German forum had also guessed Pike, would be possible as the river turns to fresh water about 5 miles up and fishing is quite good.
Longest tooth is 1/2". Seals and Otter seam to have different type of teeth. We have both on the river.
Another guess one german came up with was that it could have been a mother in law....:D
edi

My guess is a large male salmon kelt, from spring. it is clearly a fish, and cock salmon have impressive teeth in autumn and winter. it could be any of the predatory fish, i am no expert, but for sure it is a fish

Why does salt water rule out it being a pike? Happy to be corrected, but I thought the baltic sea holds some serious pike?

Novice

Why does salt water rule out it being a pike? Happy to be corrected, but I thought the baltic sea holds some serious pike?

Novice

Pikeperch or Zander are all names bandied about for fish which seem to appear in the markets over there both salt and freshwater.

Stan

Funny enough someone found exact the same Fragment of a slightly larger fish in Norway and posted it on an angling Forum.
Pretty sure it is monkfish. Very likely as 3km downriver Trawlers land fish including Monk.
Front top jaw in this picture seems to match very well.
http://www.google.de/imgres?imgurl=...F5U9z2No7S4QTX5oCoBQ&ved=0CDIQ9QEwAA&dur=1138

edi
PS good guess d foxxer
not exactly a guess edi I was commercial fisherman 20 years caught thousands of monk but this one would be too small except for the Spanish boats who often work around irish waters they cut off the heads and keep tails this was probably picked up by a gull who would have picked the meat from it on the foreshore the real name for these fish outside commercial fishing is angler fish and the real monkfish is refered to as an angel ....don't know why cheers foxxer

yah that's the culprit when my boys wer small they were fascinated by such things as this I once brought home a blue shark to cut into steaks they wanted the teeth but when it came to eating the steaks they didn't like it much I told them I went to great lengths to catch it by jumping into the water and strangling it whilst beating off a giant squid who also wanted to eat the shark they were so gobsmacked they ate every morsel had to tell them tall tales to get them to eat meat and fish lol

Back