Thread: Goats with Solway Stalker

Goats with Solway Stalker

I have just returned from a week in the lake district with the family, my wife booked me an evenings stalk with Solway Stalker on the goats & Roe, as an anniversary present. So we drove over the border to Scotland & met up with Colin after the greetings we followed him to his ground. The views were fantastic, as we arrived at his ground I said farewell to the family who went off exploring leaving me with Colin.
    I was really excited as I had never been on the hill before the landscape was totally different to flat Essex.
    We got ourselves sorted & jumped into Colin's truck & drove through the estate to the hills, en route Colin explained the day & pointed out lots of interesting facts about the estate & deer signs. I was amazed at the stunning scenery, we drove around scanning various hills.After a short while Colin was pointing out goats on the hill, he had to point them out to me before I could find them with my Bino's.
    We parked up & we were soon walking through the trees into the valley at the bottom of the hills, the goats were about 3/4's of the way up the HILL !!! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iphone 31 aug 2014 lakes 270.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	361.3 KB 
ID:	46454
    Colin pointed out a route for the stalk, to an outcrop where we should be able to get a shot, most of it would be in cover but for a short period we would be in open ground. Colin assured me that it wouldn't be as bad as it appeared. So off we set across a small stream, through a fence & then the climb started, about half way up I needed a breather as I was puffing like "Ivor the Engine". Colin however was relaxed & enjoying the view.
    I must get fitter!!
    After a slog we approached a small crest, we peered over the top & there were the goats about 130m's away, I eased my RPA over the top & deployed the bipod, but despite a clear view through the scope the muzzle wasn't clear. So we opted to crawl up to a small rock about 20 metres further up. Reaching this vantage point I again crept to the edge & deployed the bipod, but made too much noise, the goats started to wander off up the hill. Bugger I was knackered & didn't fancy chasing them further up the hill. I was gutted thinking I had blown it at this point. But luck was on my side they moved up to a small rock face about 150m's up hill from my position, they started to moved across the rocks & I saw there was a nice Billie in the group, hopping across the rocks.
    I settled behind the rifle & tried to settle my breathing, then he stopped Perfect broadside. I settled the crosshairs of the S&B on him & squeezed off the shot, it was good.
    I had the nod from Colin to take another if I got the chance & luck was on my side another Billie stopped on another rock about 10 m's above. Again the RPA found its mark & another Billie dropped on the spot.
    I was elated, the climb up to my prize was steep but worth it.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iphone 31 aug 2014 lakes 274.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	669.5 KB 
ID:	46455Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iphone 31 aug 2014 lakes 276.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	591.6 KB 
ID:	46458
    Congratulations from Colin & time to sit back take in the moment & enjoy the view.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iphone 31 aug 2014 lakes 275.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	421.6 KB 
ID:	46459
    Then we were off again in search of Roe this time, on the drive to a different location we saw a number of Reds . We foot stalked a number of areas seeing deer , but unable to get onto them, but hey what beats watching the sun go down over stunning scenery.
    Another fantastic outing imprinted in my memories forever, thanks to Colin & my wife for the outing.

Nice write up on a great days outing. Really enjoy it up there and stalking with Colin.

well done to you all nice present for you,doug

Arhh gotta wait till feb to get up there well done all involved .
    regards Norma

Congrats on what sounds like a great day! I've been out with a couple of guests recently for some cull stags but cannot wait to get out there when the roaring starts in a couple of weeks. The goats look like something different and very interesting. Nice write up and photos.

All the best

Nice to meet you Mark , im pleased you enjoyed your wee walk

nice interpretation of a hill,we call them mountains down here .sounds like a great day out well done