Another cull buck, and I thought my Roe Buck season was over

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
Its not often I get to take my own rifle out on my own ground as I am usually guiding clients. But the opportunity to take a quick walk this weekend was something I had planed for a little while, and as the weather was reasonable I thought I would make the most of it.

I have a number of high seats on the estate in West Sussex that I manage and decided to sit near an area that had been cleared after the winter storms last winter, and was now producing fresh growth which the Fallow and Roe where visiting on a fairly regular basis.

I had not been in the seat more than 20 minutes when a movement caught my eye, and with Todd at the bottom of the high seat already noticing the deer I moved my rifle into line and could see it was not walking correctly. It soon became obvious that it was injured.

As it lifted its head it presented a perfect shot at 80yds. It has as you can see lost the bottom half of its back left leg. The wound was clean and perfectly ok, but it had thrown the head on the opposite side and had also begun to affect its pelvis.

WP_20140830_006.jpg
WP_20140830_005.jpg

Apart from the obvious injury it was a healthy beast.

Back