Re-bleaching skulls

243 Stalker

All,

After putting my latest Roe buck skull on the wall I noticed that some of my older skulls have lost some of their whiteness and become more yellowish. I am thinking of re-bleaching the skulls, has anyone else re-bleached and are there any pitfalls in doing this?

ATB 243 Stalker

I tried it before mate with old heads I had in the shed put some bleach and peroxide on and it didn't really work so I cleaned the stuff off let it dry then tried it again but this time left the skulls in water for a bit to soak then bleached it and put the peroxide on they came up better. I red on here about spraying the skull with laquer once its clean so it can be wiped free of dust etc I think I might give that a go with this seasons bucks

I was hoping that someone would have a magic trick for resurecting poorly prepped trophies. I have a few that could be a lot whiter. Now I feel that I have my technique for bleaching sorted I am considering bleaching skulls that I would not keep otherwise and grafting the better antlers on to them. These are not scored medal heads so there would be no issue with altering scores etc.

I boiled mine up again not to long just enough to get the scull slippy. I then added peroxide and whitener from the hairdresser they were a lot whiter but I am not sure if you could do this to often with out the skull totally falling apart.

+ 1 one on what 6 pointer said, you really need to boil them again but be careful, get some 30% or stronger peroxide
you can get it on that well known auction site, don't bu@@@r about with the stuff you can get from the chemists, not for old stained skulls,some folk mentioning bleach, hope that was a slip of the tongue, never ever use household bleach on bone, it gets it white OK and seems fine at first but a few months on you will find the bone has turned like chalk, from that point on your trophies will just slowly crumble away.

+ 1 one on what 6 pointer said, you really need to boil them again but be careful, get some 30% or stronger peroxide
you can get it on that well known auction site, don't bu@@@r about with the stuff you can get from the chemists, not for old stained skulls,some folk mentioning bleach, hope that was a slip of the tongue, never ever use household bleach on bone, it gets it white OK and seems fine at first but a few months on you will find the bone has turned like chalk, from that point on your trophies will just slowly crumble away.

A lot of my heads have been cleaned with bleach and peroxide mix over the years and they are not crumbling away, it froths up nice and you can get it all covered easy enough, mine are all fine not crumbling away I'd say using 30% peroxide will do a lot more damage, the 12% cream and bleach is perfect no need for anything more.

Back