To camouflage or not

I personally have a large selection of camouflage and non camouflage outdoor clothing, all used by me in one form and another doing what i enjoy, be it stalking, fishing, decoying, lamping, general shooting etc etc. My own requirements for hunting clothing is that it is warm, quiet, waterproof, functional and relatively cheap, I cannnot justify £1000 on a shooting outfit, i see additional benefit in some of the more modern camo design and will continue to use them. I do not need to be directed towards a certain brand because it is fashionable or what is expected, and if the general public think that in doing so i have offended their 'delicate senses' i suggest they look around the world in which they live and **** off.

‎This Autumn I will mostly be wearing Elmer J. Fudd in a wide pallet of wool plaid but predominantly scarlet upon charcoal. Or is it charcoal upon scarlet?

In-the-field photos to‎ follow.

K‎

. Fc moved away from camo to ranger uniforms because? ??

Because they wanted to look like kids TV characters? The deer are so amazed when they see a red, pink & blue Power Ranger coming towards them they stop and stare!

Although I do like Taff's suggestion that we dress like Wild Woodsmen.

Agree with Finnbear's comments.....its down to where you are shooting (yes..shooting...Not stalking/managing/ranging/culling or controlling). You will always get a wary look even in deepest rural Dorset from some "ramblers"...most of whom are "townies" who have moved to the bucolic idyll of the Shires and have little or no understanding of the rural way of life.
So if you are draped head to toe in Realtree, tweed or plain green...its the firearm strapped across your back that will draw the attention.
Although a smock tied in the middle with baler twine and the obligatory piece of straw hanging out of the corner of your mouth is most effective when combined with a West Country drawled "Gert orf my larnd!!!!"

‎This Autumn I will mostly be wearing Elmer J. Fudd in a wide pallet of wool plaid but predominantly scarlet upon charcoal. Or is it charcoal upon scarlet?

In-the-field photos to‎ follow.

K‎

I'm digging it , plaid is bad . Don't forget the hat with earflaps , chicks dig those .

AB

I've got a hat with earflaps.

My wife and kids laugh at me. Then again, once you have a wife and kids you don't really care anymore....

I don't think it makes too much difference really. I wear real tree cam but more for the fact that that it makes it harder for people to see me. MS

Last edited:
See if you can see me in the picture. I've got my Swedteam jacket on. I'm allmost invisable when i wear it.

This year, I'll be mostly wearing dpm & flectarn, as its quite, comfy, and I'll not have a hissy fit when I snag it on brambles first time out....

there has been good studies on this and in fact the Shooting Times done a good article on it at the start of the summer , however I have had good success this year and I am not sure if it is field craft or dumb luck or my clothing that has helped but I have bagged a few stags and stalked really close to non shootable deer too including just last week a Roe Doe and her buck calf within 50 feet away from me and on a seperate stalk i was within ten feet from a feeding doe and I just watched til she decided to leave, I have also been very close to playing otters.

But I do agree with the argument that being cammed up can be intimidating when meeting the public but up here in the Highlands it really dont make a difference.

I've never felt to ba at a disadvantage by not wearing camo, when stalking.

Muted colours that blend with the surroudings, are what I favour.

A good example are the varied tweeds used on many Highland estates.

When seen off the hill, many look quite garish, but seem to blend perfectly on the hill that the tweed was designed for, in may instances.

Steve.

Things really came together for us today:

CamoMan_zps8a84a7ca.jpg

K

Well I have never been a fan of the full camouflage outfit so am pleased to learn that it is not a necessity when stalking. Seems to be the general consensus that so long as you keep your movements slow and don't wear a hi-vis vest you should be able to bag yourself a deer.

It comes to something that you have to dress like a motorway cone layer to avoid being shot by other hunters, but there again they have a very good hunting test,

Back