Best Practice Events North West England

Ronin

Distinguished Member
Dear All

please see attached flyers advertising future Best Practice Marksmanship Events to be held in the North West in September 2014

On Saturday 20th September there will be a Basic Firearms Safety Awareness Day - aimed at increasing shooting skills through proper fitting of rifle, body positioning, positional shooting etc - this is aimed at stalkers who wish to improve their skills.

There is also an additional one day Basic Safety Day on Sunday 21[SUP]st[/SUP] September this can only be booked through Jamie Chaplin-Brice at Cumbria Woodlands (jamie@cumbriawoodlands.co.uk)

Friday 19th September 2014, there will be a follow on course for those who have previously attended the basic marksmanship course (Firearms Safety Awareness Course)

The day will involve detailed instruction on humane dispatch, standing, prone and kneeling shots at various distances and the effects of elements on your shot.

Please see flyer below.

All enquires should be directed to Alistair Boston at the Deer Initiative at the email address on the flyers.

Andy now we shoot more deer in the lamp will you not be covering that area of rifle safety.

Very few, if any Night shooting permits are issued by NE so I doubt that.

Perhaps you could ask if this could be included in any future Best Practice events in Scotland Dave - how do you get on with using a lamp for culling on your grounds?

Not my cup of tea Andy .I also believe there to be a real safety issue when using the lamp in and around towns were I deal with deer problems. That said it seems to be highly regarded by the ones who struggle to manage them in day light so much so they are willing to forgo Best Practice and government guidance. Best practice and SNH /FCS are quickly becoming a laughing stock in the central belt.
With there do as I say not as I do attitude.

Im not quite sure what your point is David.

Your initial post said, " now we shoot more deer in the lamp" I took it that you also have a night shooting licence and were a proponent of night time culling.

Your second post seems critical of those who do use night shooting licences to cull - (though its usual that night shooting is conducted when daytime measures have failed) and subsequently the contractors are called in…...

Doesn't happen much in England, and again, I'm surprised at your negativity towards Best Practice and SNH / FCS.

Which all have nothing to do with Best Practice events held and organised in England...

Last edited:
I have heard good things about these courses, will there be any in the south of England any time?

Andy I have no idea why you would be surprised at my attitude. At this moment in time the Scottish government are asking us to reach a standard and soon that standard will be level 1. That standard was based on Best Practice and the deer code . Then you find out that SNH and FC are in no way following best practice in fact have forgotten in a few years what its content is meant to do. It dose have plenty to do with the DI and best practice SNH and FC have for many years supported and had input in to England's BP and the DI Both financial and intellectual.

I'll be attending the advanced day as I felt the basic day I went to last year was first class, a sentiment echoed by all who came along.

Nick

I too attended the basic day last year and wholeheartedly agree with Nick - an excellent event.

Looking forward to the 19th.

Robin

I will also be attending on the 19th . As per other posts the basic day was really good and well run

Kevin

Andy I have no idea why you would be surprised at my attitude. At this moment in time the Scottish government are asking us to reach a standard and soon that standard will be level 1. That standard was based on Best Practice and the deer code . Then you find out that SNH and FC are in no way following best practice in fact have forgotten in a few years what its content is meant to do. It dose have plenty to do with the DI and best practice SNH and FC have for many years supported and had input in to England's BP and the DI Both financial and intellectual.

Why do you like the FC and SNH to attend your deer management groups for talks then!

1995rs first off SNH and FC are the financiers of the LDNS they through manipulation decide were the small amounts of the cash left after admin go. There is there fore a need to include them in the BP events. But I am sure things will change soon. . Events like competence and urban deer awareness will from the 19th of September be led buy the public body,s eg FC,s and SNH. Lets just hope the chaps that speak to the public can actually manage the populations they talk about .Also lets hope and its a big hope they change and start to follow there own guidance in future.

Anyone interested in attending these events for the Directory?

What other events would be useful to increase knowledge / experience in the North catchment area?

Dogs for deer?

Field work?

High Seat / Ground Hide positioning / building ?

Rifle Maintenance?

Ideas????

Combine the high seat placement / type /design considerations with a session on field craft (basic principles through to home grown/practical methods/tips, using calls in rut etc and some myth busting).

Collaborative cullis - pros/cons, how to and what to avoid, risk assessment considerations.

Dealing with urban/peri urban deer - Had a few in gardens to deal with and always wary, some BP guidance /pitfall avoidance would be good.

Going to the day on the 19th, see some of you there.

I have done a few diffrent courses through th DI and have all been exellent and well attended. The berginers course was well worth the money.
See you all there
pendle / kevin

I did the 'basic' course last year and it was very good. I am away next week otherwise I would have done the 'advanced' course. I hope you plan to run it again if you get the support, especially if you have another cohort doing the basic course.

Regarding other ideas - wasn't there talk of a legal evening, you had the chap speak before Mike Norris when he got delayed/lost.

More stalkers are requiring first aid and quad qualifications - is that something the group could offer?

Slightly off the wall suggestion, but is there any call for the BDS Deer Managers course in the North of England? They used to run it at Catterick but just seem to be offering it down south at the moment. Running that over a Fri/Sat/Sun would be very interesting. I'd do it if I could work it around the day job.

Back