Fipronil and ticks

SimpleSimon

Hi all,
Just a quick bit of advice/info needed please.
My pup has a tick on her nose which I noticed yesterday. I had some spot on stuff already in the house and she was due atreatment anyway, so I I did her with that before bed. How long does it take to kill the already present tick and/or do I still need to remove it manually?
Thanks,
Simon

Hi all,
Just a quick bit of advice/info needed please.
My pup has a tick on her nose which I noticed yesterday. I had some spot on stuff already in the house and she was due atreatment anyway, so I I did her with that before bed. How long does it take to kill the already present tick and/or do I still need to remove it manually?
Thanks,
Simon

I always take them off as soon as I can, spot on or not. I found they drop off after a few of days with or without front line, but I learnt that the sooner you get them off the less chance of them transmitting disease so I take them off as I spot them.

Have a look at grumpyoldsod's link it shows exactly how to use the twirlers, and somewhere on that site it shows the microscopic barb system that holds the tick on so you can see how wrapping the barbs around by twizzling is the mechanically advantageous way of removing the little bleeders.

I have tried lots of the removers and the O'Tom wins hands down. Though some people find the loop pen thing works I didn't.

I bought a few packets of the O'Toms and have a set in both cars, in the bathroom cabinet, in my first aid pack, Barbour jacket, at the forge etc.

Whatever you do grip the head and do not squeeze the body 'cos you risk injecting the contents back into the dog.

Alan

I am having quite a few problems getting the ticks off of my HWV pup using the O'Tom as his coat is so thick at the neck. Might give the loop pen a go next!

Bryan

Fipronil will kill the tick inside 24 hours, but they can remain attached but dead for much longer. The O'Tom is the best tick remover and I have used them all.

I am having quite a few problems getting the ticks off of my HWV pup using the O'Tom as his coat is so thick at the neck. Might give the loop pen a go next!

Bryan

In a couple of awkward spots they do pick up a couple of hairs sometimes, but the tick has always come away complete...I did wonder about suggesting they put more of a curve in like a claw hammer which might clear thick hair better, maybe I will do that one long winter evening!

Alan

Bryan

I use them on my HWV's with no problem , if you can locale the tick then you should be able to remove it with the o'tom , it will get easier when he sheds his puppy coat !!

Back