Re blood

nell

Hi folk's a couple of questions regarding blood and tracking..

Obviously deer blood would be prefered,but is it ok to use sheep or ox blood as a substitute??

How fresh should it be or when is it past its best??

How much blood would you use on a 100yd track (novice dog)??

Nell

Hi Nell, ox blood is fine, filter it if you can then it wont congeal, add 25% water, use about 100ml of blood for your first 20 plus trails then you can reduce the amount from then on.
blood freezes very well and keeps for about a week in the fridge.

hope this helps

Anthony

nell,
I have used sheeps blood in the past, with some salt mixed in to stop it clotting and then frozen down into small tubs and ice cube trays.
Starting with a shorter distance of about 50 yards I would use a few thawed out blocks and then extended the distance as the dog became more experienced.
Good luck

CD

nell,
I have used sheeps blood in the past, with some salt mixed in to stop it clotting and then frozen down into small tubs and ice cube trays.
Starting with a shorter distance of about 50 yards I would use a few thawed out blocks and then extended the distance as the dog became more experienced.
Good luck

CD

I like the idea of using ice cube trays. This would be great in summer, you could put it out he night before and by the time you use it most of your foot scent has gone! It would leave massive puddles though!

Don't use salt sieve it through muslin and remove the fibrin. This is what make the blood clot.

It do's not matter what sort of blood you use neither do's it matter what type of deer-boar hoof you use. I keep a a washing up liquid bottle with 50-50 blood and water in the freezer. When you start training put down a resonable amount for the first 10 yards them a drop every half meter. Always lay a trail with a following wind.
Once the dog gets the hang of it put down less blood. Now i use about a drop every couple of meters. I find a half litre bottle will do about 10 600mtr trails now.

www.prokennel.se

I like the idea of using ice cube trays. This would be great in summer, you could put it out he night before and by the time you use it most of your foot scent has gone! It would leave massive puddles though!

Don't use salt sieve it through muslin and remove the fibrin. This is what make the blood clot.
rt

Thanks for the tip, i will start straining through muslin, oh and dont let the kids try the nice red ice cubes in their pop :oops:

Bogwelly, Blood has a very strong scent so it matters not if its watered down.
Once you get the dog trained to track 24 hour scents you need to use very little blood and have 20 mtr bits with just the hoof. Don't underestimate what your dog can do with proper training.

www.prokennel.se

Try the DCS site, searching "dogs for deer" in the best practice guidlines. If that fails get back to me. I have somewhere, a copy of the Northern European Training methods which I can copy and send to you. It's fairly concise and not only shows quantities of blood but all approved methods

Try the DCS site, searching "dogs for deer" in the best practice guidlines. If that fails get back to me. I have somewhere, a copy of the Northern European Training methods which I can copy and send to you. It's fairly concise and not only shows quantities of blood but all approved methods

Gerry,

I wouldn't mind a copy of the European methods if that's ok? I can PM you my e-mail if you like?

Paul

Back