Buffalo Special Six

freid

Does anyone use one of these shirts when on the hill? Was thinking about getting one for my hind stalking in October/November, and having a cheap Goretex camo jacket to chuck over the top if it starts to get really wet.

I know they are unbelievably warm having used them before, but never used them up on the hill at that time of year, so wanted to know if anyone uses one and recommend it.

Also looking at a Ridgeline Pintail smock, again using a goretex jacket over the top if things turn really wet - although I appreciate that I will need a few layers underneath the smock.

Any thoughts welcome. Cheers.

Never owned or used one myself, but they were popular with some of the mountain rescue team members, imagine they would fine in the coldest weather, maybe a little too warm as early as October.

Very popular with military they are , very warm and easy to ventilate if too hot. The trick is to wear next to skin that's when they really shine

Not used them on the hill as such, but use them at work, the best bit of kit we have been issued with along with Arktis trousers. Personally I only really use them in really cold freezing weather, otherwise they do get too hot even if you are just walking etc. Let along climbing a hill. If your sat in a high seat then October might be ok.
As mentioned above wear it direct next to the skin, & it should be on the snug side as well.

Very popular with military they are , very warm and easy to ventilate if too hot. The trick is to wear next to skin that's when they really shine

...or over the top of one of the old skin tight helly hansens...Brilliant!

I have used mine whilst stalking a few times, up on the hill and woodland in the depths of winter. Mine is coming up to 20 years old now. Its lost a bit of pile lining from the inside but its still nice and warm (just a little more snug in places now!). they dry out very quickly too even if it gets soaked through, which i cannot say the same for my stalking jacket!

Absolutely top bit of kit. I can concur with Daft Dog.

Although I think the special six will be way too warm for what you want - just stick with the mountain shirt. You won't regret it. As soon as it gets a bit chilly, I almost live and die in mine.

They are great even if you're doing hard work (like tabbing out on the hill) because you can vent them very easily and at least when fleece gets wet, it retains good thermal properties if you stop and start to cool down.

They don't pack small like down jackets, but don't have the problems when you get them wet unlike down.

Aye, I've had a look at their different offerings - looks like the Active Shirt or Mountain Shirt is the way forward. Any views on these would also be welcome!

From a quick google search or active vs mountain shirt, it looks like the active shirt has an outer that is a bit more hard wearing and maybe more water resistant. Not too much other than that.

Don't discount the similar offerings from Montane etc, I live in mine in winter, and although it seems a bit strange at first, there is something brilliant about wearing one on top of bare skin in foul weather, and being very comfortable (as long as you are not static).

Have a look at the Montane Extreme Smock too.
As standard it comes with a very good hood & reinforced elbow/forearms which are great for crawling and a little extra protection not offered by the Buffalo.
Chest pockets are more user friendly that the Buffalo too, just my opinion but the Montane is a superior garment to the Buffalo

I would also consider the snugpak alternative, the fabric is less 'crunchy' and more flexible. I was surprised how much I rustled in the buffalo.

Use one all the time on the hill later in the year; the vents on the side cool you enough when worn next to the skin but it's the old story of layers. I usually wear a thin base layer underneath with a cheap goretex on hand.

Depending on the drag it occasionally gets tied round the waist right enough ;)!!

The worst thing I find is straps slip quite a bit on the material.

Last edited:
I have a Special Six which I only use for those frosty mornings when its crunchy underfoot. Do not underestimate how warm they are, I can wear mine with just a base layer well below zero and provided I'm just ambling around I'm plenty warm enough. If your thinking about any stalking that gets your heart rate up a bit, you'll be sweating. The S6 is also great for lying in wait or sitting in a high seat. If you want a smock for walking around in, then the active shirt would be good, having the S6 and the active shirt would cover every eventuality.

I bought S6 and hoped I could use it more than I do, but I don't regret it, It's a great smock.

Mine is now 20 years old and is showing every minute of of it. It's been used for stalking, foxing, working, pheasant days etc etc etc. I still wear it even although it resembles a ghillie suit now rather than the original design due to the rips and tears but its had a hard life. It is now what should be classed as U/S but I'll be going straight out to buy another. Best jacket I've owned bar none.

I have used the montane extreme for a few years. Superb piece of kit. V warm but easy to ventilate. well worth a look.

I,he had my special 6 over 10 years now and wished I'd got one years before . If its cold and you're on the move you won't beat it .

Great shirts and a version of them is now issued and so available as mil surplus so you can try one for a few quid. For what it is worth I wear mine all winter with my wind proof smock on top to keep my pockets etc.

Back