Threading and firearms cert

W16OEN

Two questions for you -
I bought my sako 75 new form the local gun shop, it was already threaded. I now wish to shorten the barrel 2 inches and re thread it. I have been told that it would need to go away and be re-proofed - is this correct? I do not intend selling it at this point in time.

I sent off my firearms and shotgun certs for renewal as one on the 17th JAN - i received the forms on the 12th. I phoned the local firearms dept two weeks later and they confirmed receipt and someone would be out to see me. I phoned again last week and explained my licences expired on the 3rd March and still no one had been out. I received a message later informing me they would be out on the 8th. Needless to say I will be w/o a current licence shortly. Is this ok considering I have submitted my renewals on time and the police admit they have a back log of work. I do not like the idea of using a weapon w/o a current licence in my possesion. Advice please.

Current legislation only requires re-proofing if the integrity of the barrel has been dimished.
Unfortunately whoever does your threading will cover his ass by having it re-proofed and then charge you handsomely when there is no actual need to do so.
There are some gunsmiths out there that will re-thread and not re-proof,find one of those!

Firearms.
Ask the FLO to issue you with a temporary certificate as it is illegal to be in possesion of firearms without a valid certificate.Point out to them that it is thier responsibility to ensure that you have a Temp Certificate before yours expires.
It is illegal for them not to do so..
If you are in any doubt then contact BASC and ask their advice if you are a member..

regards
griff

Neil McKillop chopped my Sako 75 down by about 2" - much improved the handling and don't regret it one bit. Think the total cost was £85 including proofing as apparently his insurance was only valid if the barrel was proofed. Don't know how true this was, but no reason to doubt him to be honest - I can't see him making anything out of the proofing by the time he'd paid courier costs etc.

Agree with griff - get a temp certificate to cover yourself!

Back