Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Starter ammunition laoding kit

Starter ammunition laoding kit

I keep thinking if it would be better to reload my own ammunition for my .243 and .308
    I have started to study a book, ABC of reloading and I like the idea, plus it would be cheaper.

What would you suggest as a starter kit, that will not break the bank account and will not make me sleep in the shed for a week?

A list of what I will need will be very helpful.

Thank you all for the advise
    Last edited by Highbird70; 07-09-2014 at 21:28.

If you are reloading (or thinking of it) you will realise little cost saving if you shoot only a few rounds per year.
    I treat reloading as a hobby in itself and shoot cast and jacketed loads.
    The shooting is almost a way of using up the rounds I have made.
    You shouldn't go for max velocity but for best and most consistent accuracy.
    Starter kit - get a book or the dvd from RCBS and then decide.

you can save money within a 100 rounds if you go down the route of a Lee Loader
    perfectly capable of producing sub MOA ammo

outside of that you could find yourself buying several hundred pounds worth of hardware to factor into any planned saving
    couple that with potential shortages of components and consumables depending on where you live

see what you can buy locally in decent supply first

I started using just a Lee hand press kit, powder scoop set, and basic 2 die RGB set (you have to buy the shellholder separately).

As with the Lee loader, if you follow the recipes provided with the dies or given in the Lee manual, measuring out the powder with the specified scoop, you will invariably make good ammo.

It will not be at the top end of performance (the scooped loads are conservative and safe), but it will work well.

Then you can then add to your kit. But you will still find a use for all the basic kit.

It is the route I would always recommend, and will teach you the fundamentals safely.

Unfortunately prices for the kit, and consumables (powder etc.) have risen enormously, so to buy new it would take a long time to justify on cost savings.

But if you give up there is always a ready market here to re-sell the stuff without losing out too badly.

As above , I started out with a Lee Loader like Sharpie . They're simple , inexpensive and more importantly , they work . You can add to your equipment as time and finances allow . I've still got the first one I bought almost forty years ago ( yikes ) and it still works fine . Just a word of caution , once you start you'll probably find that you enjoy it a lot , and it will take on a life of it's own .
    As dodgyrog says , reloading is one of my hobbies , sometimes I think I only own rifles to try out my reloads lol . Good luck and welcome to the club .

Hi Mark

If you like I'll bring my Lee Classic loader over to Nicks some time or you could pop over here. You have seen how well some of that ammo grouped and I shouldn't think my kit has cost me much more than 150.

Hi Jim,

Hope you well, that's a great offer, I will definitely take you on that. Our common friend (no name mention, because he is part of the forum), that has all the reloading equipment in the world, he can't be bothered to help me and he is to tight.

See you soon

Quote Originally Posted by jimo View Post
    Hi Mark

If you like I'll bring my Lee Classic loader over to Nicks some time or you could pop over here. You have seen how well some of that ammo grouped and I shouldn't think my kit has cost me much more than 150.

Thank you all for the advice and the Pm, I will probably look at Lee reloading kits

bare minimum:
    lee loader - 30
    case trimmer - 5
    chamfer tool - 5
    Lee Scoop kit - 15
    wooden mallet - 5
    (you could argue you don't need the trimmer and chamfer tool but for .243 especially I would get it)

additional extras should you require them:
    primer pocket cleaner
    loading block
    etc etc

be aware, only use once fired brass from your own rifle as the Lee Loader only neck sizes (this is an advantage in my book and means your brass could outlive you!)

I would still suggest the hand press kit and pair of dies, if you can afford it.

That way you learn the basics of standard reloading methods, and if you add another calibre later it only requires the extra dies.

The classic loader is good if you just want the cheapest possible tool, or you have romantic notions of e.g. reloading in the field with minimalist equipment, but if you plan on progressing it will have to be discarded, you'll need to buy a press and dies, so might as well start at this point.

I did buy a classic loader to try in 30-30 but the neck sizing only didn't work, the lever action rifle bolt got crunchy after only a couple of reloads.

Even with a bolt action rifle you will have to bump back the shoulders sooner or later, and that requires FL die and a press. Sorry, but the classic loader is rather limiting, in my experience.