Sako 85 or Sauer 202

Mikesm11

just inquiring opinions of experienced members which they would plump for given the choice of a new Sako 85 S/S or a 2nd hand Sauer 202 Synthetic/Blue? Both costing around £1450.

Being a real sauer fan and owning 2 202's I would be tempted to say buy the sauer. However as like you most likely feel I like the idea of owning something from new. I know how it has been treated it's whole life, and it's mine. Not something someone else has got rid of. My first sauer was 2nd hand and is a lovely rifle, which has never had any problems. However I do enjoy knowing my 2nd one has never been abused as I bought it new. I too looked at the sako and it was my 2nd choice. A little lighter than the sauer but that stock still doesn't feel just right to me. I'd say for the money try and find the extra £300 and buy a new sauer or I'd have the sako. Unless the sauer is mint with a know history and not abused. Out of interest what caliber you looking at?

HI woodmaster,

It'll be in .243. Like you say I like the fact of having new. My .22 and .17 were both bought new but my son has a sauer 202 elegance and suggested I look at the 202. Have to make decision by weekend cause dealer is holding the Sako or me till then.

You say the sauer is blue! Is it blue (if so it's either fairly old or one of their real fancy jobs with a blued action as well) or is it finished in a black duracote type finish? As you obviously have access to a sauer and the sako which do you prefer the feel of? Which comes to your eye the best and puts your finger on the trigger nicely? Ask your self all these questions and make your mind up on what is going to work best in the field. They are both lovely pieces of engineering which will perform as good as one another. Just down to what's right for you. I wouldn't be rushed by the dealer, plenty rifles for sale out there.

Definitely the Sauer , I have 3 , just got a grs stick to put on either 3006 or my 6.5x55 , they are well made , very smooth bolt action , what more can I say

I have had a new Sako 85 stainless synthetic in 243 for about a year now and would highly recommend one, Its an excellent rifle and has the added benefit of increased weather resistance that a stainless synthetic combination provides. Personally I would take this over the 202.

Having had a 202, they are great rifles. Accurate, well made, high quality.

But I'd pick the Sako in a heartbeat... I much prefer the Sako's classic lines, and the feel of its action.

I have had a new Sako 85 stainless synthetic in 243 for about a year now and would highly recommend one, Its an excellent rifle and has the added benefit of increased weather resistance that a stainless synthetic combination provides. Personally I would take this over the 202.

I am a big Sako fan. I have two 85s, but I also have a Sauer 202 so I am in a position to make direct comparisons. Like most top end manufacturers, Sauer also produce synthetic models with coated actions (Ilaflon in the case of the 'Outback' model).

I don't actually like the synthetic stock for the Sako as much as the Sauer one. The Sauer has a bit more heft - basically feels a bit more substantial. The Sauer action is smoother, due to the bolt being a finer fit and the bolt, again, is more substantial.

I understand where Kano383 is coming from though. I love the lines, look and feel of the Sako. I also find that I shoot the Sako more accurately. Without checking, I think the Sako is about £1400 versus about £2400 for a similarly specced Sauer. I think value-for-money-wise, the Sako wins out. In the case of the OP, I would absolutely buy a new Sako in favour of a second-hand rifle as I like having things from new.

regards

Ian

I would opt for the sauer after ensuring the condition is good. the sauer is a fine rifle, I have one and am looking to but a second. also if you opt for the sauer and don't like it you will get your money back for it as its already depreciated in value from new, then you could get a 1 for 1 variation for free. if you take the new rifle and don't like it you will loose money on It.

Both are good rifles, but you are probably getting better value from the Sauer 202 at the price you are paying. It's the same choice as buying a new Volvo or nearly new Audi.

Both will outshoot you, both will be reliable and it will come down to which feels better in your hand. The Sauer has it's safety release in the trigger guard, and has a three round clip that you load off the rifle. The sako has safety behind the bolt and a magazine that can load from both off the rifle and through the open bolt.

Sauer is is more modular and can easily switch the barrel, but you would need to re zero. But for the cost of a new Sauer barrel, you can probably rebarrel the Sako - to my mind not really an issue in the UK given all the fun and games in getting a new rifle etc.

Thanks guys for the info, seems pretty balanced opinions. I have decided to go with the new Sako 85 s/s, as can't be sure of the sauer history and its nice to have new......

Thanks guys for the info, seems pretty balanced opinions. I have decided to go with the new Sako 85 s/s, as can't be sure of the sauer history and its nice to have new......

You certainly won't be disappointed with the Sako, it's a fantastic rifle.

I prefer Sako's classic aesthetics. I would only take the 202 if I received a good deal on the takedown model with a walnut straight stock. Even then.

Either will shoot great out of the box.

I was surprised by how heavy the Sauer 202 was when I fondled one in the store. For standard cartridges they might be too heavy for some people's stalking needs.

As has been mentioned before, there are many different configurations for Sauer 202 guns. Mine is the Outback which weighs 2.9Kg (the same as a Finnlight).

I started looking at the sauer coz my son has the 202 elegance but it is a damm heavy beast, but he is 6'2" and ex para, I'm getting on a bit so weight was an issue but except that the outback is same weight as sako. The dealer didnt know the full history of the one I was considering so, as I said, I really like the idea of a new one.

Agree with everything you say there. I should have made it clear that I was replying specifically to Canadian1.

You are going to love your new Sako. :D

regards

Ian

As has been mentioned before, there are many different configurations for Sauer 202 guns. Mine is the Outback which weighs 2.9Kg (the same as a Finnlight).

Not everybody wants a synthetic stock/fluted barrel.

Comparing similar products within the lineup, the weight of the standard models w/wood stock such as the Sako 85 Classic w/22.5" barrel and medium action is 3.3kg. The Sauer S 202 Classic model w/22.5" barrel and medium action is 3.5kg. Not a huge deal, and less discrepency than I expected. I don't want to overstate the weight difference. You honestly can't go wrong with either gun as they are both high level.

Well, just bought and collected my new Sako 85 SS on Saturday from Ian Hodge RFD, and cant recommend him higher, excellent service and very competitive prices. Anyway, after 6 rounds zeroing I then shot a 3 round 25mm group at 100 yds off sticks, and the gun is a dream to handle light and good balance even with a mod on. Very pleased with my purchase. Now, just need to put it to real use but as I am new to centre fire I cant use it unless accompanied by an experienced user and my mentor lives a fair way away. Any one in South East Cornwall want to assist?

Congratulations on the new gun. I'm sure you'll have a great time with it. On the mentor condition, I assume you don't have your own ground? If that's correct surely any fac holder on who's ground you shoot will be fine, so just book your stalking and get out there. If for some reason your CoP has restricted you to a specific mentor then please get on to them and contest this. Either you are safe enough to own a rifle or your not. How or why on earth would someone stand liable for your actions if they didn't think you were safe.

Condition says I can only use the rifle when accompanied by an 'experienced' FAC holder That is someone with an unrestricted FAC, I have my own land and woodland and over 300 acres permission. Odd thing is I have fully open FAC for my .22 and .17HMR but because I have not had centre fire before the FEO stated I need to be mentored. End of!

Back