African stalking rifle... :-)

Kano383

Got a new tool in the back of the Landy...

d15ed6fc6a9da01cacbeafd3b4caa22e_zps151d58e1.jpg

CZ 550 in .458 Lott, 8 1/2 lbs empty and six rounds in the mag. All you'll ever need for a stalk on big mean things!

:D :D :D

Philip

From a buffalo perspective, .450 Rigby and .458 Lott are exactly the same thing.

From a practical African point of view, .458 Lott: factory ammunition available, can shoot .458 Win (available anywhere in Africa), greater magazine capacity.

If you live outside Africa, whichever floats your boat... Less magazine capacity with the Rigby (doesn't make any difference in everyday's life), less pressure for same powder charges, less ammo available - if you reload and it's not a working rifle, I'd say go with the Rigby.

Interesting stuff. The lower pressure could be appealing for working a bolt fast and not getting sticking.

Is 416 Rigby pretty common?

.416 Rigby? Not common in Africa. Expensive ammo, difficult to source. Until recent, there were few rifles available in that caliber. There are more .416 Remington. The "bread-and-butter" calibers available everywhere in Africa are still the .375 H&H and .458 Win Mag, and there are more and more Lott appearing around - either rechamberings, or factory rifles. Most common rifles among PHs and resident hunters are variations on the M98, Zastava, old Mausers, lots of CZ.

South Africa doesn't count, there they have a much wider choice available than in any other country in Africa...

Matt, yes, it's got a Recknagel aperture sight, drilled out to 3mm. I have similar sights on all my CZ - except the .17... With a fiber optic front, it's the fastest thing this side of red dot thingies.

David, yes, Selby loved his .416, but this does not make the rifle/ammo more easily available to the masses... Even Selby had to set his 416 aside for some years due to scarcity of ammo. This said, he got his .416 because that's all what was available in the shop one day that his double got broken. Had he got a .425 Westley Richards, or .404 instead, he'd have loved any of those too.

Matt, yes, it's got a Recknagel aperture sight, drilled out to 3mm. I have similar sights on all my CZ - except the .17... With a fiber optic front, it's the fastest thing this side of red dot thingies.

David, yes, Selby loved his .416, but this does not make the rifle/ammo more easily available to the masses... Even Selby had to set his 416 aside for some years due to scarcity of ammo. This said, he got his .416 because that's all what was available in the shop one day that his double got broken. Had he got a .425 Westley Richards, or .404 instead, he'd have loved any of those too.

Ooooh, 404 Jeff nice

The rounds I use for work are custom loaded CEB solids and CEB Raptor at 2150. I've been really impressed by what damage these things do.

For plinking and practice, whatever .458 WM ammo I can lay my hands on. We can't reload here, no components available...

Back