Rifle Warranty Issues

Wheesht!

Looking for some advice, i'll keep the description brief:

• I bought a new rifle from a RFD which has subsequently developed problems.
  • The rifle is still under warranty.
  • The RFD has tried unsuccessfully to solve these problems.
  • The RFD says it needs to be returned to the importer for assessment.
  • The importer can't guarantee how long they'll have the rifle for.
  • I use my rifle for work on a daily basis and can't afford to be without it.

I've no wish to fall out with the RFD, who's been very helpful.

Where do I stand legally and what can I do?

Thanks in advance.

edit to add: i've no idea how that smiley ended up in the thread title...?

I would say they are doing everything by the book, if you rely on it so heavily, I would say the onus would be on you to ensure you had a back up rifle for just such a scenario. Sorry, probably not what you want to hear, but they are offering to rectify the problem, that is their duty under the warranty, you have to allow them the opportunity to put it right.
what do you think they should do?

Your contract is with the RFD not the importer, so all and any contact and negotiation should be between yourselves and doesn't involve the importer. Suggest you search on your Local Authority's website for trading standards where there will be information regarding Sale of Goods Act and other consumer protection legislation.

It's important to put your side of things in writing to the RFD at an early stage. Keep it businesslike and you shouldn't fall out, but it depends on how likely they are to honour their side of the contract and how keen they are on customer relations.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/sale-of-goods-act

Good luck with it.

I would say they are doing everything by the book, if you rely on it so heavily, I would say the onus would be on you to ensure you had a back up rifle for just such a scenario. Sorry, probably not what you want to hear, but they are offering to rectify the problem, that is their duty under the warranty, you have to allow them the opportunity to put it right.
what do you think they should do?

I'm not implying the RFD isn't doing everything by the book - infact you'll note i've said how helpful they've been.

A standby rifle in the cabinet would be ideal I agree, but it's not a luxury I have unfortunately. My other rifle is not Stag legal.

I'm quite happy to follow the warranty process, and i'm happy the RFD is too, I just haven't had to before and was looking for some extra advice.

I don't think they should do anything other than follow procedure.

Thanks.

Wheesht, If you have a good relationship with your RFD, maybe you should ask him to loan you a rifle (maybe an old second hand one that works) whilst yours is being sorted. If he is really interested in keeping your good will & custom he may well help you out --- No harm in asking. I know of a couple of RFDs who wouldn't hesitsate to help & also know others that wouldn't - guess where my repeat business would go.
Good luck with it & I hope it's sorted soon.

Ian

p.s. I think Inverness FLO would help by issuing a quick 1 for 1 variation to cover it.

All to often there comes a point where your continued use will create a perfect excuse for a 'get out of jail free card' for either the dealer or manufacturer, i would cover every angle, pictures, written copy of all agreements etc, stop using it and get them to help in finding a spare to use in the short term, after all this issue is not of your making, I would push for it, working the after sales service and customer care angle.
atb

Back