Single or double base powder

welshwarrior

I'm about to start rolling my own billets for my 243 for various reasons what's better and why I'll be using Vectan piwder if that makes a difference.

Personally I would go single base and a mid range powder like tu5000 to allow use of a full range of bullets up to maximum for calibre weight

I think the Peter Lawman site is probably a bit out of date welshwarrior and as far as trying to buy the powder off him, well let's just say he's difficult to contact and most people give up in frustration.
I've used several of the Vectan powders and really like them especially if the price is right, TU2000 being absolutely brilliant in .222rem. I would use them even more if I could pick them up locally but distribution has always been a bit of a problem. Can I ask where you got yours from.

P.S. I have an old copy of the NobelSport reloading manual, the book and not the pamphlet. Although it only gives data for Nobel/Vectan powders as a reference book on reloading it really is one of the best I have ever come across. It is especially useful with regard to European cartridges and equipment used to reload them.

Thank you I've a very good supply with in 1/2 mile of the house so that's why I'm keen to use it. I buy it direct from Express on my work account.

If you need help with supply I head back to The Marches regularly I'd be happy to help you out.

Thank you I may take you up on that. I did enquire with them some years ago but at the time they simply weren't interested in pushing the product.

If you think in terms of powder capacity to bore size, the .243, like the .270, is really a magnum cartridge. The double base powders burn hotter, and you already have a cartridge which is burning a lot of powder for the bullet weight, so you are going to be burning out your throat faster.

The .243 can be a superbly accurate cartridge with a wide variety of bullets. Play to that, and go for accurate loads first and foremost, whether for foxes, small deer or larger deer.

Back