Thread: Northwest passage ships found...Canada.

Northwest passage ships found...Canada.

Anyone read about the Northwest passage story and or seen the Rae Mears program should take a look at this...

Canada finds British vessel that vanished on doomed North-West Passage expedition in 1840s - Telegraph

Dr. John Rae got right royally screwed and it looks like he is still getting ignored.
    There seems to be no mention of him. In this article at least.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

If I remember rightly it was all to do with getting Nutmeg off the island of rum and cut out the middle man in Asia. In its day Nutmeg was worth more than gold.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

This the book I read on it...

Really good read.
    Shameful how Rae was treated.
    That was how society worked in those days.
    Charles Dickens spoke against Rae too, helped along by Franklins widow.
    Great writer, easily manipulated by the sounds of it though.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

An ancestor of mine was trapped in ice off Baffin island , he was a crew member aboard the whaling ship the Alert out of Peterhead, they were discovered the following year by another whaler, having spent around nine months trapped in the ice

The surviving crew were in very poor condition and unable to man the ship , however with a scratch crew from the ship that found them and some help they managed to get from another ship they sailed the Alert home.

The survivors told tales of great hardship of how when rations ran out they ate their boots and any articles of leather that were on the ship, there was suspicion that worse things may have been eaten.

Ten crew members survived and ten perished unfortunately my relative was one of the ones who perished.

He died on the 3rd of June 1861 aged eighteen years , he was buried in a barrel, as were the other crew members
    at the Cumberland Straits
    Last edited by bogtrotter; 10-09-2014 at 23:21.

Life aboard ships was always hard but to be stuck for all that time in an ice flow freezing. I can't imagine how hard it would have been.
    the book I read was Nathaniels nutmeg. And whilst it wasn't specifically about the north west passage it did go into the reasons as to why they were so keen to find it and the various ill fated expeditions and it was a most excellent read as well.
    Nathaniels Nutmeg - Giles Milton - Google Books
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

Very evocative song about the NW Passage.