4x4 question?

wildfowler.250

Looking for a 4x4 for shooting but the main priority would be that's it's decent on the road. Im just after something that I can do a bit of lamping in and if we get a decent bit of snow I can still get down to the shore. I go up and down the A9 for uni so something that's slow isn't really ideal.

I've got bye using a Clio for the last 6 years and just taken the back seats out,(with 63mpg I can't complain :lol:).

I was thinking of a jimny and taking the back seats out. My only concern is that they'll be slow and it's not really something I could throw round a corner. Any suggestions to something similar to the jimny or thoughts on the jimny?

Thanks!

Unless you go for a Porche 4x4, BMW or an Audi they will all be relatively slow and unable to be thrown round a corner. Do not expect a return of 63mpg or anything like it from any 4x4.

I've got a Jimy and love it but it is slow and corners like a barge but to me it's all part of the charm as I get to drive decent cars at work.

Maybe a Subaru Forrester or similar if you still want a bit of poke and handling?

It would be far cheaper to put good snow tyres on the clio.
One run up and down the A9 would just about pay for a pair in the cost saved from running a 4X4 that distance.

Perfect for the job. No joking. Diesel versions are very economical. This clip , only 9 min, gives you all the circumstances you can meet on the A9, any time of the year. No time waster neither. . Enjoy it till the last minute. Who needs a Porsche Cayenne or Audi Q7 ?

google Fiat Strada Pick up. I think it would be a great thing for the uk, so if more people look and talk about it they might start making them in RHD.

Andy7mm

Looking for a 4x4 for shooting but the main priority would be that's it's decent on the road. Im just after something that I can do a bit of lamping in and if we get a decent bit of snow I can still get down to the shore. I go up and down the A9 for uni so something that's slow isn't really ideal.

I've got bye using a Clio for the last 6 years and just taken the back seats out,(with 63mpg I can't complain :lol:).

I was thinking of a jimny and taking the back seats out. My only concern is that they'll be slow and it's not really something I could throw round a corner. Any suggestions to something similar to the jimny or thoughts on the jimny?

Thanks!

Three options come to mind immediately:

1) The Fiat Panda 4x4 - a brilliant little machine that will go anywhere on the wiff of an oil rag.

2) The Renault Kangoo 4x4 - again will go anywhere for not a lot of cost. Road holding is not bad and if you can find them, not too expensive - first up on Google gives - http://motors.friday-ad.co.uk/brighton/vans-and-trucks-for-sale/renault/renault-kangoo-trekka-YI431KG55

3) Skoda Yeti, or Octavia Scout or Diesel Subaru Forester - but not many around that are getting to the cheap stage. Or indeed an early Audi A6 Allroad.

Alternatively with the Clio stick a set of winter tyres on the Front and carry a set of chains. That's what the French do - smart 4x4's go in the garage for the winter and thier old Clio's, 106s and Citreons come out with skis on the roof and driven to withi an inch of their lives up and down and around the Alps all winter. Chains also work well in mud.

I have a 2 wheel drive Kangoo which runs on Winter Tyres and during the bad winters was going places where most 4x4s were just sitting and spinning thier wheels.

I had a Kangoo 4x4 van diesel. Still regret every minute selling it. Much better on snowy roards than the Nissan terrano I have now. Much better in any 4x4 situation except deep mud. It lacked power in deep mud. Other disadvantage = SLOW. Max speed was 90mph. If you like to go at 85mph from Belgium to Italy ( or even slightly faster) , it's just to much for the car. Noisy and high consumption.
If you add 30 mph and better noise insulation you get a VW Caddy 4 motion. In my idea the perfect shooting/stalking vehicle. Wont be good for foxing and off road, but perfect for anything else.
I trial spaniels. Drive anything in between 50 and 700 miles on the motorway and maybe 2/3 miles on woodland tracks on the trial ground. I would drive from Belgium into Scotland to do some winter hind stalking. Don't really need heavy offroad skills but need high speed, low comsumption and great 4x4 snow/road ability to keep me on the road in winter time + loads of loading capacity.
The Subaru Forester wil still be the perfect SUV, but also look at the Outback and the Skoda's 4x4 as mentioned. Also have a look at these : http://www.dangel.com/

Subaru Outback or Forester diesel great 4x4
amaze you where they will go 120mph and 45mpg all the time
have a look...

As already said .... Skoda 4x4 with decent tyres. I love mine, with great MP, loads of room and it does the job in snow and mud.

We need a 4X4 to get out of the village in winter months and in the past I ran Jeeps (cherokee & Grand Cherokee) and then a Shogun.

The Shogun was biblical in terms of what it could do in snow and mud on only road tyres but I couldn't keep pooring money into its fuel tank to keep it running. (25mpg)

So with a heavy heart I decided to go for a softer 4X4 and baught a Toyata Rav 4 2.2 and it does average 47mpg

The main reasion I chose this is it has a diff lock

If the 4X4 your buying hasn't got a diff lock it is going to be a bit naff. I can survive without the low ratio gear box no trouble but I cant get away without dif lock.

I cant tow other cars out of snow drifts any more like I used to do in the Shogun but with a set of winter tyres on my spare rims I have managed not to get stuck yet in the Rav4

ATB

Mark

Skoda yeti is great but watch deep ruts. Another one to consider is the VW amorok double cab golf like comfort economical and good off perfect for stalking.

Not particularly frugal but I found my old Jeep Grand Cherokee very drivable and comfortable at speed and a very competent 4x4.

I bought the Subaru Forester and have never regretted the purchase, decent performance on the road, reasonable cornering and good off road plus 43mpg if driven sensibly

Alternatively with the Clio stick a set of winter tyres on the Front and carry a set of chains.

If you stick winter tyres on front please stick them also on the rear. I cannot start to imagine how dangerous it would be to drive at highway speeds with FWD and summer tyres on rear axle.

I would also advice to choose tyres that are marketed and sold in northern countries. E.g. studless "winter" tyres made for German highways are no good in winter conditions.

I'm driving a 04 Forester since a few weeks and really enjoying it. Is also quite good on muddy lanes with AT tires.
The tighter turning radius than my previous pick ups is great. Made in Japan and works, I'm sick of Euro cars.
edi

We need a 4X4 to get out of the village in winter months and in the past I ran Jeeps (cherokee & Grand Cherokee) and then a Shogun.

The Shogun was biblical in terms of what it could do in snow and mud on only road tyres but I couldn't keep pooring money into its fuel tank to keep it running. (25mpg
So with a heavy heart I decided to go for a softer 4X4 and baught a Toyata Rav 4 2.2 and it does average 47mpg

The main reasion I chose this is it has a diff lock

If the 4X4 your buying hasn't got a diff lock it is going to be a bit naff. I can survive without the low ratio gear box no trouble but I cant get away without dif lock.

I cant tow other cars out of snow drifts any more like I used to do in the Shogun but with a set of winter tyres on my spare rims I have managed not to get stuck yet in the Rav4

ATB

Mark

I've always liked the Toyota range and this is a great little 4x4, the back seats lift out easily and you've a sunroof for spotting.
Very smart vehicle. Only down side is the road tax !!

Back