When shot what percentage of Roe deer run??

Cyres

Dear All,

Following the lenghty discussions on the Roe/.22 C/F debate it has become quite apparent that different stalkers have considerably dirfferent experiences in relation to the reaction of Roe deer to being shot.

As a novice stalker it would be helpfull to have some idea to what sort of % of Roe do not drop dead on the spot so to speak.

For the purposes of this thread can we take it that a shot Roe which is located 15 m or more from the place it was shot has considered to have run.

If replies could give some idea of the numbers of roe they shoot and with what calibre rifle/bullet they used it might provide some useful insight into this topic.

To date I have yet to experience the Roe run scenario and have only seen it on video.

I look forward to the collective experience and wisdom of the forum.

Regards

D

How long is a piece of string ?
Depends on who is measuring and if they have their glasses on or not ???

Taking into account that several deer with the same internal dammage can do different things when shot !
The answer would have to be a guesstimate at best ?
Here we go .(very very rough estimate looking back over the years )

Dropped within 15 m................25%
within 15 to 100m.......70%
over 100m.............. 5%
The majority of these would have been low ground Beasts with plenty of cover at hand . The ones that do run any distance usualy lie down just inside the cover .
So many variables to contend with ????
All mine were taken with a .243 75 grain ballistic tips,more than ten years ago it would have been 100 grain (whatever the estate could get cheapest ! lol)

Last edited:
D

Out of 54 roe shot, 14 ran more than 15m, so roughly 25%.

Of the 14, the ones that were lung shot ran between 20m and 50m, whilst those shot in the heart or heart/lung ran between 15m and 30m

willie_gunn

The .308 using 123gr Sako seem to drop them within 30yards without fail. I've only had one run past this which l found a day later roughly 200yards away that was shot through the lungs -

The .308 using 123gr Sako seem to drop them within 30yards without fail. I've only had one run past this which l found a day later roughly 200yards away that was shot through the lungs -

Same here - Tikka M55 .308 firing Sako 123 gr Gamehead seems to do a consistently good job on Roe and Fallow. Range 50 - 120m, thin mixed woodland and arable.

I have clients daily with calibres from .243 only allow 100gr sp's to 3006 up to 180 sp's
do not allow plastic points or many neck shots. Range is capped at about 140m's usually shot below 80.
So for standard bullets at standard ranges with stadard calibres on roe I would say 25% drop to shot; 50% drop within 35m's; 20% goto 50m's; and 5% further.
The biggest thing is if the deer are totally unaware and grazing if the shot is good the will drop to shot.

I cannot remember the last chest shot deer that did not run! The majority are in the 5m to 15m bracket though, I would say 20% drop on the spot, 60% run 5 to 15m and 20% further than that, furthest so far was about 70m. I am colour blind so following a blood trail is close on impossible for me, luckliy the dog seems to have no such problems.

These are with a .243 and recently 100 gr soft points, previous to that 95 gr Accutips.

Last edited:
i dont shoot masses of deer but the roe i do shoot all tend to literally drop on the spot and very few even run a few yards all taken with a .308

I shoot a lot of mine through the neck as my calibre and bullet choice can be a bit fierce with regards to meat damage. Engine room ones rarely move either and I don't think I can remember one going more than 15m. If they do run it is rarely more than 10m. I use a 25.06 with a 100 grain Nostler ballistic tip.

It really is how longs a bit of string ,a lot will depend on the state of the deer when shot and variables such as angle of shot, wether much bone is connected or not,for example i shot a doe a couple of evenings ago who was blissfully unaware of my prescence she dropped on the spot the buck kid with her run 50m before stopping and giving me a shot both had almost identical shot placement and internai damage but he ran on another 40 odd metres before dropping down dead that was using 30.06.One thing i,ll say is that the 30.06 definatley drops them quicker than my .243 but they are obviously recieving more shock from the larger bullet but i,ve found that there seems to be simular damage but less bruisng with the 30.06.On the whole i'd say 50% will run ,never much further than 50m this being with chest shots, a few of those say 5% or less getting a bit further the worst i had was around 600m ,my balls up shot was low on the brisket good blood trail but only light damage to the lungs.If they know you're there and you take a chest shot i think its pretty safe to say its going to run its just a case of how much damage caused as to how far its going to make it.
Neil

I shoot a lot of mine through the neck as my calibre and bullet choice can be a bit fierce with regards to meat damage. Engine room ones rarely move either and I don't think I can remember one going more than 15m. If they do run it is rarely more than 10m. I use a 25.06 with a 100 grain Nostler ballistic tip.
;);)

i have shot 2 roe up to press, 1 with my .308 which ran for maybe 30yrds at the most, and 1 with a 25.06 and it dropped on the spot. both heart lung shot. you never know!

Not shot that many but I have only had one that moved any distance. Shot using a sako 123 grain round out of a .308. It went straight down and it looked all over, when I saw it get to its feet and walk off. It walked towards a length of stock fence bordering some commercial woodland. Not having a dog I felt I had no choice but take a second shot whilst it was moving. It carried on with no apparent concerns. At the fence it lay down and died. When it was retrieved I found that the first shot had gone high and the second was way back. That second shot showed no sign of having landed. I was amazed and very pleased not to have lost it.

These were shot tonight by a client from a high seat.
Mother and daughter.
.243 + 100gr sp's @ 60m's.
Both lung shot the first made the rhodies and fell within 12m's of strike.
Second fell as shown and never got up. I just stopped filming her.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the replies.

I am quite suprised that it would appear that about 50% will run after being shot.

When I did my Level 1 we covered reaction to shot but there was no actual figures on the % that run and how far.

I presumed it would be an uncommon event ie about 10% at most but clearly from what has been posted it would be a very likely outcome.

To date I have yet to have this experience, so I expect it is likely to be a certainty pretty soon.

Any furture contributions would be greatly appreciated. I will then sit down and try and tabulate the outcomes and post the results.

I think it may be very usefull information for all.

Regards

D

I think you get your 50% figure due to the low threshold you set in the original post (15m). A beast that runs 25-30m has, of course, run but is not a runner if you know what I mean

Hi folk's, I've shot 10 roe over past 2 weekends, useing .22/250 and 50gr sp,of these 6 where head shot so no movement of the 4 shot in the ribs,1 bullet failled to expand and she ran 140yds before lying down (alive),remaining 3 ran between 10 and 50yds..

Nell

25 shot to date, all engine room, 75% ran more than 15m but none more than 50m. Interestingly 22 shot with 6.5x55 120 grain BTs but the 3 shot with .308 168 grain BTs had massive damage but all made it 30+ metres. I'm looking for a new .308 cartridge but despite having tried lots the rifle only groups sub 1 inch with this load.

I think you get your 50% figure due to the low threshold you set in the original post (15m). A beast that runs 25-30m has, of course, run but is not a runner if you know what I mean
Thats what I was thinking ? A good kick from a heart shot will take it 15 metres.
Maybe it should have been more on the lines of,
Zero feet
0 ..to..50
50.to..100
100..+

Back