Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting Practice

Shooting Practice

I was at the range last evening with a couple of friends and we were discussing the hunting in general and the discussion of bipods came up, then it was 'sticks' and I offered that use of either was pretty common in the UK. That drew some criticism and for once, I found myself defending the practice based on a number of good reasons given to me by members of this site over the years. We tried to think of how this would work out for us in our situation and came to the conclusion that there is the odd occasion where sticks or bipods could be used in our locality, but generally -due to terrain and ground cover- it would be tough.

That conversation begged the question as to whether UK shooters regularly practiced shooting off hand, standing, aimed towards stalking practice: Which is what we were doing last evening and how the majority of our shots are taken. I said I thought that shooters who do would be in the minority.

Any insights to offer?~Muir

Speaking from personal experience only (and others may disagree), the vast majority of my shots on deer are not overly hasty. I tend to use quad sticks and find even these can be deployed within a couple of seconds if practised.
    I don't lose many opportunities on deer as a result of using sticks and find i am confident of hitting the target effectively at a much greater range.

I concede that sticks would be a distinct disadvantage if i were to take shots at running game but for a relatively stationary target (even Munties which tend to wander around) they are great.

my impression from the media (and again I am prepared to be corrected) is that a lot of shooters in the States regard offhand shooting as a skill to be proud of and the use of sticks might be considered to be cheating?

Sticks/Bipods, here are a real boon, as a lot of our stalking requires a steady rest, where time can be taken to get settled on a quarry animal, giving the added in factor of a solid rest, why take an unsteady shot when you can use sticks?..., on the other side of the coin, offhand shots can present themselves just as often, but running game specifically on deer is generally considered a no-no!, I have used sticks regularly, but nonetheless will shoot off the knuckle if it feels good, my last such shot was 167 yards on a Roe Doe, she took a Partition through the high neck, from a .270, DRT Anything that gives a stalker an advantage over nature, Deer in particular, (short of the lamp/NV)is OK.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I tend to practice standind shots unaided with a rimfire at the 25yd range, when I started I was looking at 4 inch groups now down to 1 1/2 inches and getting better all the time.
    I am talking about 10 shot groups

Finn and Mike: I understand the reasoning for sticks, etc. I wasn't asking for justification, I was asking about whether or not you deliberately practice off hand shooting. A question that both of you artfully dodged, I might add. So Sikaog does...

Mike: I can't say how things are everywhere but here it is a matter of pride. There isn't always something to lean on. That doesn't mean that I won't lean against a fence post or a tree if it's right there.~Muir

+1 95% of my rimmie shots are all freehand,only exeption is when in vehicle ,only time i use bypod or stand is for zeroing to check groups or ammo,atb doug,

Not an artful dodge, just general usage, offhand shooting for me started back in 1969'ish, shooting plastic cotton reels along a riverbank, using an air rifle, pushing the reel further & further away, then came a rimfire, again offhand on bunnies @ 100 ish yds, so maybe we are not that far apart in our stances?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

No dodge intended muir.
    i dont shoot off hand at deer and as such don't feel the need to practice it. (Although I do with my rf and air rifles)

My deer rifles are equipped with quite a hefty mod which would make off hand shooting a bit of a challenge. I'm happier with not challenging myself, especially as deer welfare is of prime concern to me. I don't think I have ever missed an opportunity as a direct result of using sticks. Not making any judgements about anyone else, it's just how I like to shoot.

I will repeat: I'm not judging, just asking. I shoot off hand quite a bit but for varminting (prairiedogs) I shoot off of a rest. There are different applications for different shooting venues. I'm just wondering who shoots off hand as a regular practice.~Muir

Off hand shots such as those described by Finnbear270 (bunnies at 100yds with rimfire, neck-shot roe at 167yds) are definitely beyond my ability!

Like him, however, I practice off-hand: at home with an airgun and on the range with .22lr as well as with c/f rifles. A stalker-type shoot I take part in includes in the course of fire 4 rounds standing unsupported at 60yds at a roebuck target - the idea being that it's important to be able to do it.
    Last edited by Dalua; 14-09-2014 at 16:17.