When is a Deer Not a Deer

fab2

I like the new format and presentation of the site but to keep the excellence, I hope the admin forgive me, I would like to draw attention to the first page with this little quote.

'When is a deer not a deer' When its a Sika! The term Sika Deer is wrong. It should be Japanese Deer or Japanese (or other) Sika. We should strive to be correct in the info we put out. Picky I know but if we are to be the best site....... Fab2

There's a thread: Deer I glassed or (worse) stalked that were not deer...

A bit like falling over and jumping up in the hope that no-one noticed...

I'm fine!

When is a deer not a deer !!.
When its in the Larder then its Venison ! and bloody tasty it is ,. Along with others I have watched a molehill change from a couched deer ! into a molehill !!!. Eye test imminent.
Trapper

When its a fertilizer bag on a stick in a field of winter rape,had me fooled in the half light one morning,my mate is always spotting gorse deer,deeritis i call it.:oops:

The alternative scenario is worse. I thought I saw a deer nearly a mile away. Yomped through some dead ground asap. Reappeared having lost all perspective and the lay of the land I had been looking down at. Was just convincing myself that I had spotted a cow or horse at that distance when a fine fallow buck ran off!!! It was a longer walk back

The alternative scenario is worse. I thought I saw a deer nearly a mile away. Yomped through some dead ground asap. Reappeared having lost all perspective and the lay of the land I had been looking down at. Was just convincing myself that I had spotted a cow or horse at that distance when a fine fallow buck ran off!!! It was a longer walk back

Ouch! Much respect for fessing up. We have all done it.

I spot loads of deer sat in the seat that were previously dark clumps of bracken, brambles and stumps. Then l can swear to seeing them move like deer too. I even have one seat where l've had to go back during the day (having marked a spot at night) to cut back a load of fallen boughs 130m down a riding that gets me every bloody time. (they looked like a deer that stepped half way out).......there was the time that someone decided to walk their Vizla up a riding at twilight (in an area which is steep) that was almost a dead doggy.....So when is a deer not a deer - when its a woofy..

Guest-'Look I see a Stag over there'
Ghillie-'Naw it's a stane'
Guest-'No I am sure it's a Stag'
Ghillie-'An am sure it's a stane'
Guest-'How are you so sure it is a stone not a Stag'
Ghillie-'Cause it's the same stane ye thought was a Stag in 1903 ,04 and last year tae'

With apologies to my Great Grandfather.

Seriously as has been said in other posts Sika is the Japanese word for deer so to say Sika Deer is a nonsense. David

tommo ,Swarovski have the very thing that will stop your problem .

lol Mr Leica keeps me on the straight and narrow!! ....shooting Munties is never easy - little buggers get near on nocturnal when shot at regularly so l generally only see them in the last minutes of twilight in the more populated areas, at that point everything in thick woods look like deer! The important thing is that i've never shot at something whilst stalking which is not a deer! Mr Swaro helps with that...

There was an old rusty oil drum on my old patch which looked like the back end of a roe. It fooled me several times until I learned to ignore it. Until the day that it got up and ran away ..... :oops:

Good choice tommo I wish i had kept mine, instead of trading them in for swarovski's the EL's are the dogs but the Leicas had the edge 8x50 let more light in in the morning and evening .

The old thing of the grass is not always greener .

If you want to be picky shouldn't we then also refer simply to fallow, muntjac and roe? Are there any other creatures with the same name that aren't deer? Ever heard of a fallow sheep, a roe horse or a muntjac cow? Until the arrival of sika, referring to a stag needed no further identification any more than did hind or hart. Unfortunately, when sika were introduced to the UK nobody thought to bring with them the Japanese words relevant to the genders. Had they done so we would now be referring to sika stags and hinds using the relevant Japanese words. Google tells me stag translates as kuwagata although I cannot be certain that this is appropriate in its inference. Only with native European stags and hinds might we more commonly use the collective term deer, and only then if preceeded by the colour adjective. Deer, on its own, is as broad a description as cat or bird.

If pedantry is to rule then surely we must insist that fallow bucks and fallow does are referred to collectively simply as fallow, roe bucks and roe does simply as roe and muntjac bucks and muntjac does simply as muntjac. That would then conform to the practice of not collectively referring to the cocks and hens of various species as pheasant birds, partridge birds or pigeon birds and so on.

...and while we're on the subject, we in the UK always referred to the bass as just that. No further description necessary. Do we ever refer to sea mackerel or sea cod? No, we do not and neither should we need to refer to sea bass. Yet another Americanism that trendy, overpaid, thirty-something pasta cooks use in the absence of any real knowledge of traditional British fare. :evil:

I do not, however, suggest we shorten references to CWDs as Chinese Waters. :rolleyes:

I know, its late and I've been up since dawn. Time for my tablet, the shipping forecast and the Land of Nod.

8)8)... fair comment..

Back