Remington 700 "ACCIDENTAL DISCHARGE" when the safety in switched off !!!

Trufflehunting

I was out with a young keeper last night when this happened.!!!!!!
Fortunatly no body was hurt.
Its the heavy barrel model i think is called Varmit
He took the rifle back to the gunshop for the third time with the same problem !
Has any one had the same problem, or know of the possible reason
We were about 750feet above sea level and it was Fairly cold
He shot some crows the same day while the sun was out, with no accidental discharge?

Got a 'good' trigger has it?

Sounds like insufficient sear engagement - often the result of someone trying to adjust the factory offering for a better let-off.

Need more info before being able to work out the reasons.

Rgds

Ian :)

Truffle

I have a good friend that has a rem model 7 in 7mm/08 & he had a problem in as much as that the rifle would discharge by just moving the safty from safe to fire mode-(this is not a good quality in a rifle I feel).

He did cure it by just dropping in a replacment trigger & safty unit from a rem 700 & its now fine, ther are stacks of 700 std factory trigger & safty units kicking about if he just wants a bulk std job or upgrade to a Jewell.

It does sound like the trigger/safty assembly is the prob, but whatever the reason he should stop using it until he has it sorted out.

Regs Lee

I mate

i have a 700 varmit no problem with it i have replace the trigger but i have had the same problem with my bsa the trigger
was set to light when i brought it

Could be the trigger pressure is set way to low,Ive seen two accidental discharges that have caused other people ther life .

It is the police and the courts that must be satisfied there after ,accidental discharge just doesn't cut it when someone is dead .

The problem should be check by a Gunsmith until it is rectified if it can't be sorted it should be destroyed ,so it cannot be sold to someone else

The problem should be check by a Gunsmith until it is rectified if it can't be sorted it should be destroyed ,so it cannot be sold to someone else
I failed to mention the gun is about a year old, as i said it has been back to the gunshop twice before this is the third time.
Not sure about your advice in scrapping it.

Was the weapon new ?? Or something that sat on a shelf for years the problem could be something as simple as old oil that has hardened over a sear not allowing it to catch properly .
One of the people that was killed by the accidental discharge was a very good mate of mine that why i put it in hard facts .

Sadly you have found that the Remington 700 has a fault in the design of it's fire control system (tigger) Remington know about it and still produce this faulty unit despite it being responsible for several severe injuries and even deaths but it seems it's cheaper to pay a few $ in compensation rather than change the production.

There was recall on some 700's I believe. The only sure fixes I know of is:-

1) Get a different type of rifle

2) Spend out on a proper trigger

I doubt your gunshop can do much as let's face it not many of them acyually have a proper gunsmith all they can do really is send the rifle back to the Importers and hope they know what their doing and can fix it.

I have a remmy 700 varmint in .223. Never had anything of the sort happen. Hope it never does. I will say on reading the thread linked above the one that got me was the rifle that went off in a rack after having been bumped about in the back of a jeep: While it was loaded???

Have checked all my 700s 2nite and all seem fine have fired many thousands of rounds with 700s and (thus far and heres hoping never) had a problem, but its places like this with other like minded people sharing their experiences that we can learn so much, hope you get that rifle sorted and safe and happy huntin!!!!!!!

This is a problem often seen here in the US.I have a mid 90's 700 that also discharged.

Remington has know about it and has been sued several times over accidental discharges.

I solved mine by a new Timney trigger;which is a common aftermarket product in the States.It can be done yourself,as I did.

Before this replacement,I disassembled the bolt and found heavy grease and chips from the manufacture of the gun.After cleaning the bolt,and then scrubbing the trigger group with lighter fluid,I never had a problem.But I switched triggers anyway,something I had intended to do.

Many smiths here recommend lighter fluid as the only cleaning and lubricant for 700's and the many clone's we have availible on the market.It leaves a thin protective film and displaces moisture.I just pour some down through the action and out the bottom when coming in from a snowy or rainy hunt(which is most of my season here)

Dinsdale

Most problems with triggers are a result of three things;
1, wear - in this case unlikely.

2, poorly ajusted sear - probable.

3, touching the trigger when the safety is released - possible?

If the chap who owns the rifle hasn't "fiddled" with the trigger ajustment, then I suggest stop using it immediately and take it to someone who knows how to ajust Rem trigger units.

They are simple to ajust (possibly the issue here) but the simplicity means that they can be ajusted incorrectly leading to a dangerously small sear contact.

If the weapon is firing on release of safety then the sear is wrongly ajusted and (or) the pressure spring is too slack.

Do not entertain scrapping the rifle - all it requires is proper ajustement of the trigger unit or at worst a replacement unit - which is a ten minute swap.

Most problems with triggers are a result of three things;
1, wear - in this case unlikely.

2, poorly ajusted sear - probable.

3, touching the trigger when the safety is released - possible?

If the chap who owns the rifle hasn't "fiddled" with the trigger ajustment, then I suggest stop using it immediately and take it to someone who knows how to ajust Rem trigger units.

They are simple to ajust (possibly the issue here) but the simplicity means that they can be ajusted incorrectly leading to a dangerously small sear contact.

If the weapon is firing on release of safety then the sear is wrongly ajusted and (or) the pressure spring is too slack.

Do not entertain scrapping the rifle - all it requires is proper ajustement of the trigger unit or at worst a replacement unit - which is a ten minute swap.

+1
That pretty much covers the possibilities I suppose. There does seem to be a lot of crap and swarfage in the actions of some new rifles though. Ruger is bad for that.
Am on my 4th or 5th Remmy 700 and, though I adjust my own triggers, I've not had any unplanned discharges. I cock the rifle and then adjust the sear until it trips and work back from there to a safe point with just a wee bit of creep. The new Rem700 match trigger seems a fine unit - you don't need to touch the factory set sear engagement, just adjust the pull weight and that sets it up beautifully.
Shouldn't trust anything mechanical anyway. Muzzle awareness is essential.

remi 700

I had this problem happen to me not long ago. i have a remi 700 with a match trigger.
i found out the small grub screw had backed off so the trigger was so sensative it fired when i closed the bolt. to solve it i just re set the trigger pull. but i will be keeping an eye on it.

Well I could put up a link to a long thread on this problem on another forum but as one has already been posted and tells that Remington know but don't care there is not much point. The problem does not stem from adjustment but **** poor design. There is a connecting lever which only operates under it's own weight and has no spring pressure and if this does not reset under it's own weight the trigger is they unsafe. It's an accident just waiting to happen.

I would say Ian's on the money with this one. If so it should be an easy fix by someone that knows what he's doing. If it's been back to the shop three times and the problem persists I'd try another shop.

Kind reagrds,

Tim

As others have pointed out Remmington are aware of this and have been successfully sued on a number of occasions.
If you google it you'll find it comes up quite a bit...

Most cases are where the trigger is "touched" as if a shot is going to be taken, the safety engaged and then disengaged - BANG.

personally mate,

three discharges and no accidents, your one lucky man.
After the first one i would have trown through his shop window and never taken it back.....
a gun does not accidentally go off without either faulty kit or misuse. you obviously aint misusing it so i refer to my opening statement.

if you paid for it by credit card leave it in the shop advise them you want your money back. get if off your ticket and buy another gun...

its only my view mate sorry.

f.

Back