Ammo for a .22LR

User00004

I have ordered my .22LR CZ Style with a 20" Barrel, what ammo would YOU use? I have not had rimfire before so don't know much about the ammo, It is Bolt action and will have a SAK Mod fitted, will be used for rabbits and other vermin.

I have heard all sorts of different things, so would like some guidence please.

Cheers
TJ

i've always used winchester hollow point sub sonics mate. found them to knock the bunnies over nicely.

.22 ammo

Every .22lr is diferent, i use eley subsonics and they do me fine.
The best thing to do is to buy a box of all the makes you can get locally then try them all in your rifle , when you find what it likes then buy as many as you can. If you are using them for rabbits and such you are best sticking to the subsonics.
Hope this helps, Ezzy.

as said above, my brno likes winchester subs, it will not shoot eley bullets to within a 4 inch group at 50 yds.

try a few brands and find out what it likes best.

winchester subsonic for me and my cz. taken some very nice rabbits with that combo, but try a few brands as suggested.
have fun and straight shooting

I would suggest Winchester subs. I was trying a range of ammo last night, the Winchester was the quieter and way more accurate than CCI. Eley Hollow Xtra was more accurate than the Winchester....so buy a box or 2 of each and see what the CZ eats for breakfast!

I'm placing a bulk order in a week or two :D

On the recomendation of members of this site I've been trying a few different brands, to find what works best in my rifle. So far:

Remmington - absolutely crap. No consistency at all.
Winchester - Ok, but very bouncy!
Eley - pretty good.
CCI - Spot on every time :thumb: I'm using the segmented hollow points for rabbiting, which are awesome. I use the ordinary CCI non-segmented hollow points for target practice and zeroing - they're the same weight bullet, but cheaper.

(By the way, my rifle is a BRNO #2)

As has already been said 22s can be picky! I would get hold of as many brands as you can and test them all to see which suits the rifle.
My Anschutz is best with Winchester subs however my CZ hates them, Eley subs are probably best in it closely followed by CCI. I know it costs a bit to sort it out but it's money well spent in the long run.

30 yr old BRNO zeroed last night on Winchester Subs, quite confident it could do sub 1" at 50 yds if I could.

Always used Winnies unless the local RFD was out of stock and then I'd use Eleys.
Used to like the powder smell you get with the Eleys :eek:

As has already been said 22s can be picky! I would get hold of as many brands as you can and test them all to see which suits the rifle.
My Anschutz is best with Winchester subs however my CZ hates them, Eley subs are probably best in it closely followed by CCI. I know it costs a bit to sort it out but it's money well spent in the long run.

+1

There is another consideration ,that is ,the barrel should be thoroughly cleaned between switching brands ,failure to so might give a bad impression of the following type due to different deposits lingering in the bore .US .22s use finely ground glass in the priming compound and the bullet lubricant is formulated accordingly.Ely and some of the European makers use a different priming compound which contains no ground glass and they simply use a greasy wax lube which can't cope with the glass deposits in the bore and can show up as wildly innaccurate.

That is the first time I have heard of cleaning between different brands, so far I have been using remiongtons in my CZ452 Varmint but find sometimes they group like a shotgun. I may follow your advise and clean the barrel for the first time once I pick up another brand... may take some time to try different brands though as I only have a pittyfull allowance of by 100 hold 150!

That is the first time I have heard of cleaning between different brands, so far I have been using remiongtons in my CZ452 Varmint but find sometimes they group like a shotgun. I may follow your advise and clean the barrel for the first time once I pick up another brand... may take some time to try different brands though as I only have a pittyfull allowance of by 100 hold 150!

Blimey how do you manage with such a small amount ? You should buy in 500 lots and hold 750 at least .Find out what works for you and get a block of 500 of the same batch.
It's a free variation ,it's sensible to keep a reserve of the same ammo to ensure continuity.

:old:

Back