I think i have made a mistake

willowbank

Hi chaps having become very interested in the daily lives of my local Fallow population and in readiness for taking a deer or two just for myself, I have bought and put out a number of Acorn cameras which have produced some really lovely, and that is the problem, they are lovely photos of Fallow Does, many with Fawns and some are black.

To watch videos of their antics and just quietly feeding from the hoppers, windfall apples etc is facinating, to the point where I really dont think I want to shoot them....
now a buck will be a different matter, I hope, but as yet there have been nowt but Does in the area.

Will the Does depart from my wood or will the Bucks come to find them?

I have decided where my high seats will go, just a tad concerned that the Does will leave, has anyone experienced this and what feed works best other than wheat, would pony or pig nuts work?

ATB WB

They are wonderful creatures as are most of the wildlife the world over, seeing them in their natural surrounding undisturbed does indeed bring great joy, you can be happy in your self that you get to see and enjoy this sight, feed them photograph and learn from having them on land you can shoot, this does not detract from the fact that we may on occasion need to intervene with regards to management, the benefit of this is you have a choice of how that is done. I personally do not have an issue with taking a beast for my own consumption and will only do so when needs must.
There is nothing at all wrong with admiration for the animal you will hunt, I think it is wise to have a healthy regard for them & beneficial in many ways.

Plus it will be a providing a very healthy traceable food source for your family that required some effort and time, rather than getting in the car and going to Tesco!

atb

Most if not all of the bucks will be in bachelor herds at the moment, older mature bucks will be in pairs or on their own and making their way to the rutting stands. They will not be permanent on the stands at the moment but will be looking with interest and can be found sometimes hanging around to see if there is any action.

You may well have a rutting stand on your patch, but you will need to scout this out a bit later in the season. Anytime from October with the rut generally about mid October to the end and sometimes into early November. Get on the ground early and look and more importantly listen to see if you can hear any bucks grunting.

Try not to shoot bucks on a stand, but back from it. If the rut is really on you will have a choice of prickets and sorrels milling about.

Good luck.

Thanks

Thank you for the replies, I won't have a problem filling the freezer just would rather it not be one of the "locals" I have been watching and photographing bring up Fawns, interesting that the Bucks travel to established rutting stands, so if I don't have one on my patch I'm basically stuffed as my understanding is that the Buck is static on a stand and the Does are drawn to him?

Will get a tub of Molasses to mix with the whole maize and pony nuts they seem to like, sounds like a good Boar attractant, shame I have none (that I know of)

ATB WB

Thank you for the replies, I won't have a problem filling the freezer just would rather it not be one of the "locals" I have been watching and photographing bring up Fawns, interesting that the Bucks travel to established rutting stands, so if I don't have one on my patch I'm basically stuffed as my understanding is that the Buck is static on a stand and the Does are drawn to him?

Will get a tub of Molasses to mix with the whole maize and pony nuts they seem to like, sounds like a good Boar attractant, shame I have none (that I know of)

ATB WB

I assume you are over Canterbury way? Drop me a pm with your mobile number if you need to chat. I am in south Kent, but I will be away in the near future for a while.

Hi chaps having become very interested in the daily lives of my local Fallow population . . . . . . to the point where I really dont think I want to shoot them....

Totally understand and agree, respecting the animal you seek is the only humane way to hunt.

Fallow are my favourite deer, they're beautiful, I often don't want to shoot them, and one day I won't.

Totally understand and agree, respecting the animal you seek is the only humane way to hunt.

Fallow are my favourite deer, they're beautiful, I often don't want to shoot them, and one day I won't.

Agreed they are beautiful and wiley, but they are also big.... and smelly.... and usually full of ticks and keds once you do manage to get them on the deck!:)

Back