One for one Moderator

EMcC

I have an A-TEC Maxim 6.5 reflex moderator.
It is no longer a 6.5 moderator but a rather ragged .30 moderator !!!
I know the letter of the law states that I should dispose of the ragged one then apply for a variation to acquire another.
But this is where, to me, common sense kicks in.
The one I have is on my FC as an A-TEC Moderator with no identifying marks.
The one I wish to replace it with will be identical.
So all I would be doing to carry out this transaction, is creating paperwork, using up time and mileage going to my RFD for disposal then the Police licencing office for my variation and then back to my RFD for the replacement, then notification of the transaction to the Police licencing office, by E Mail.
I cannot see why an RFD cannot be trusted to check my authority to hold and, as long as it is being replaced by an identical model, just take the old moderator and sell me the new one.
Until such times as moderators are identified with serial numbers, I do not see why BASC or any other shooting related organisation, could not raise this issue at their next meeting with ACPO or better still, do away with all this nonsense involving what is really just a pipe.

Old post I know, but it's a pain right enough. I just had my FAC back after a variation, & noticed that my .30cal mod' wasn't on it. I just called to check & it turned out they have no record of it at all, despite it being purchased from the RFD in June of 2013 :confused:

FEO was fine about it, so I just need to send back my ticket & a letter informing them of the details, but it does highlight the daftness of why moderators are treated as S1 items. After all, a rifle without a moderator is still a rifle..........a moderator without a rifle is, well, a 'pipe'. Seems especially daft with regard to the likes of the SAK, that can be purchased for use with an air rifle off-ticket, but needs to be authorised and ticketed for use on a rimfire.

Still, it's a requirement all the same, for the time being anyway. I did hear a rumour that moderators were going to be taken off-ticket, but not heard anything for a while. Anyone else heard similar?

Another incidence of 'Moderator Madness'
I was using my moderator on the zeroing range at Bisley and just before I packed up for the day I put it on a coat hook to cool before packing it last.
Yep, you guessed it, I forgot it and left. It wasn't until I got home, some sixty miles, that I realised I had left it there.
I contacted the office at Bisley and described what it was and where and asked them to see if it was still there and yes it was, so asked if they could send it to me to save another 120 mile round trip.
No, I had to go and collect it from them as now it was found by them it was now entered on their Firearms register !
What a carry on. It was obviously mine as I had described it and where it was.
I could not see any common sense reason why it could not be posted to me other than this rather strange law classing moderators as the same as a Firearm.
The sooner one of our Organisations gets a grip of the rather strange law the better.

Strange you have trouble with this my FAC just says sound moderator to fit (calibre) over the last year or two I have changed from the old heavy T8's to hardys and just took the T8 in and walked out the shop with exchange one no paperwork involved!!(except showing my FAC to the shop.)

Strange you have trouble with this my FAC just says sound moderator to fit (calibre) over the last year or two I have changed from the old heavy T8's to hardys and just took the T8 in and walked out the shop with exchange one no paperwork involved!!(except showing my FAC to the shop.)
I'm sure you're forgetting the one for one variation you must have done (as to not have done one would be illegal).

Sounds ideal but if you did not miss out a bit about one for one swap in that perhaps don't put it on a forum. You never know who is watching.

Sounds ideal but if you did not miss out a bit about one for one swap in that perhaps don't put it on a forum. You never know who is watching.

?? don't quite follow you exchange one is a one for one swop unless moderators are numbered same as guns if I exchange one then the number I own stays the same.

?? don't quite follow you exchange one is a one for one swop unless moderators are numbered same as guns if I exchange one then the number I own stays the same.

For it to be legal you should have notified your licensing office of the disposal of one moderator and sent in your FAC to have the authority to acquire another reinstated, then on reciept of your FAC with new authority to acquire you can get another mod.

Ian.

For it to be legal you should have notified your licensing office of the disposal of one moderator and sent in your FAC to have the authority to acquire another reinstated, then on reciept of your FAC with new authority to acquire you can get another mod.

Ian.

Yet you can take your Ruger 10-22 to your local RFD and have him fit a replacement barrel without the need for a variation?????

Ian.

Lets face it, the whole firearms act 1968 needs to be reviewed and not just in respect of moderators. Assuming you have the necessary good reason and land, we should be permitted to possess a certain number of rifles up to a specfied calibre without need for further approval or variation. Any changes then just become an admin excercise, much like a shotgun certificate.

A question - I am looking to sell a rimfire rifle with SAK moderator, but if the purchaser did not want the moderator, then I am left with a SAK moderator, but no rimfire rifle. I do however have an air gun (non FAC) that I could put the SAK moderator on. Assuming the purchaser does not want the moderator, what should I do to 'convert' this item into one I could use on my air gun? Do I need to inform my Firearms Office so it can be struck from my certificate before I can retain it or sell it for use with an air gun?

Interesting question. I'm not sure Anything can be taken off ticket and still be retained.
As per other posts above it's moderator madness. Especially when the licencing folk are cut down on staff etc etc
Be interesting to see others opinions.

A question - I am looking to sell a rimfire rifle with SAK moderator, but if the purchaser did not want the moderator, then I am left with a SAK moderator, but no rimfire rifle. I do however have an air gun (non FAC) that I could put the SAK moderator on. Assuming the purchaser does not want the moderator, what should I do to 'convert' this item into one I could use on my air gun? Do I need to inform my Firearms Office so it can be struck from my certificate before I can retain it or sell it for use with an air gun?

if you have a friendly RFD get them to take it off your ticket (and send it in) and give you back a Air gun silencer not needing a ticket

Last edited:
Interesting question. I'm not sure Anything can be taken off ticket and still be retained.
As per other posts above it's moderator madness. Especially when the licencing folk are cut down on staff etc etc
Be interesting to see others opinions.

its difficult but can be done

FAC air rifles get converted back to non FAC and taken off the register
similarly with multi shot shot guns

unless you want the slot just keep the FAC mod and put it on your air rifle
fitting a mod to an air rifle does not make it a firearm

I am envious and would enjoy having "only" this much red tape to deal with concerning moderators/supressors.

in the US, all of our mods are serial numbered, and you can only be in possession of the for which you are licensed. For all the ease we have with firearms, our mods are treated like your FACS and firearms. On top of that, each state sets up their own rules (in one bordering state they are not legal to possess in any fashion, in another they are legal only for target shooting, in my own we can hunt and shoot with them, but no one else may use my mod unless I am in immediate proximity)

Do you want to hear my moderator problem? I have an Ace Northstar on my ticket as .243 but is actually .30 cal, this has not been a problem over the years and it means I can use it on my 30-06 that I got recently.
The problem is that I want to lighten up a bit and get a Hardy but how can I sell the Northstar? I can't sell it as a 30 cal as it is not on my FAC as one and is anybody going to want to buy a .30 cal moderator for thier .243 and end up in the same boat as me?
I have an empty slot for a .30 cal moderator so I may get the Hardy in .30 cal but I really want it for the .243 so this wouldn't be ideal.

Any bright ideas anyone?

Do you want to hear my moderator problem? I have an Ace Northstar on my ticket as .243 but is actually .30 cal, this has not been a problem over the years and it means I can use it on my 30-06 that I got recently.
The problem is that I want to lighten up a bit and get a Hardy but how can I sell the Northstar? I can't sell it as a 30 cal as it is not on my FAC as one and is anybody going to want to buy a .30 cal moderator for thier .243 and end up in the same boat as me?
I have an empty slot for a .30 cal moderator so I may get the Hardy in .30 cal but I really want it for the .243 so this wouldn't be ideal.

Any bright ideas anyone?

you should be able to Get it added with no cal specific so you can use it on any Rifle and why cant you use a 30 cal mod on a smaller Cal gun ??? legally i mean

tell then you want a variation on the MOD to take the Cal bit off and why

i have a sak thats on my ticket as a pes told them its been sold three times,gave up in the end, im now the proud owner of a short dumpy lightweight aluminium pes,

+1 I'v done this as advised by flo as i still only ended up with x1 mod that had no name NVM ! i paid he exchanged he disposed i just walked out with another NVM MOD NEW

I've got two moderators for my .223 and all legit and recorded. But I have to agree, without a rifle they really are just a bit of pipe lol!

Back