Availability for .308 reloading

Wingy

At present I'm reloading for my .243 using Sierra pro hunter Spitzers & Hodgdons H4831, however this combination is difficult to find and aquire at the moment.

I'm now looking at starting reloading for my .308 it's a Tikka T3 Varmint, stainless synthetic with a 20" barrel. I'll be using Federal brass, federal GM210M large rifle match primers and would like some idea of what bullets in 150 grain soft point or hollow point are readily available and what powder would work well which is also readily available.
Thanks Wingy

Best bullet in 308 is Sierra Gamekings 150gr spitzer, not much to better them. 46 grains of N140.
However, there not to easy to get hold of at the moment.

At the moment Hodgdon powders (including IMR) are getting hard t get hold of by all accounts. So N140 is probably a good choice.
As for bullets check out Midway UK
It'll give you some idea of availability. They show all Sierra 30 cal bullets as unavailable at the moment

Personal choice but I wouldn't use Federal 308 brass, found it to be pretty poor, loose primer pockets after a couple of uses.

Try and find some once fired RWS, Norma or Lapua much higher quality.

I would never start loading for a new rifle with 2nd hand brass, the exception being military surplus which is always once fired! With someone else's brass you never quite know. Buy new for a new gun. As to bullets. I have had some good loads with the Interlock flat base by Hornady in 150 grain. SUB Moa from 5 different rifles. The 150 grain SST has worked well also. I can't find 30 caliber, 150 grain Game kings.~Muir

Cheers guys, the federal brass is known to be once fired & and I have an endless free supply of it so after a couple of uses it can go in the bin if any problems.
Re powder/bullet supply just looking for something that works that I can get hold of easily.
As with my .243 the combo that performs isn't readily available & when I find it I can't afford to buy in bulk.
Wingy

Keep a lookout on Midway Uk website, showing some Sierra coming into stock soon, you will need to be quick though as they go quickly unless they get big shipment in. I havent tried to buy any 140 recently but told its not to hard to come by.......yet!

Best bullet in 308 is Sierra Gamekings 150gr spitzer, not much to better them. 46 grains of N140.
However, there not to easy to get hold of at the moment.
Hi this combo works. I shoot a sako 85 so priety much the same barrel. 150gr gamekings and N140 works well. Found 2node points around 43.5gr and 46.5gr with the shorter barrel went for higher charge as gave 2700fps which just gave me that edge ballistically. Very accurate round.
BE

+1 150 pro-hunter and i load BT'S 150 SPT for my pals tik' my sako 85 and my pals tiks love em so do the deer i use H4895 and was lucky to find more tubs the other day :D so can't give you a load in n140.

Hi this combo works. I shoot a sako 85 so priety much the same barrel. 150gr gamekings and N140 works well. Found 2node points around 43.5gr and 46.5gr with the shorter barrel went for higher charge as gave 2700fps which just gave me that edge ballistically. Very accurate round.
BE

Back