norma .270 110 gr copper for red and sika

Why use 110-gr bullet on a large animal?
Why not just use a 150-gr standard Hornady or Remington or Speer ( Federal ), and KNOW it will work?

Why use 110-gr bullet on a large animal?
Why not just use a 150-gr standard Hornady or Remington or Speer ( Federal ), and KNOW it will work?

Because in one area o stalk it's a requirement that you use nontoxic, there's only one gunshop with in an hours drive of me and he only has 110gr which is fine as that ground is predominantly roe but my other ground has red and sika and I don't want to keep rezeroing hence the question

Because in one area o stalk it's a requirement that you use nontoxic, there's only one gunshop with in an hours drive of me and he only has 110gr which is fine as that ground is predominantly roe but my other ground has red and sika and I don't want to keep rezeroing hence the question

If you have to use nontoxic, you're better of using the Sako Powerhead, is loaded with 130 grains Barnes TSX, which is cooper only. My rifle shoots them .5 MOA, give them a try!

If you have to use nontoxic, you're better of using the Sako Powerhead, is loaded with 130 grains Barnes TSX, which is cooper only. My rifle shoots them .5 MOA, give them a try!

Only problem is I can get them, the 110gr are the only copper bullets the gunshop carries, used federal 130gr coppers last year and they were great but got them from a gunshop 4 hours from me and when I'm passing he will be closed and my rifle needs to be zeroed and ready to rock and roll when I get to the woods

Had USA clients use these copper jobbies some years back. BarnesX bullets I believe. Bloody useless!! No expansion and deer running off without any signs of being hit. These were both Reds and Sika. Mind you this was about 20+ years ago.

I have never used them before or since, still prefer good old noslers and have not lost a Red or Sika since.

My one and only experience with this type of round sounds very similar to that described by sikamalc.

:(

Novice

I found them an ok round on Sika, can't really comment on how they performed on Red deer. Only shot two with them.

Al

I use them in three calibres and find they do what they are meant to. Plenty of expansion with the 130g TTSX in 308 and 140g 7mm, even on foxes. Have never lost a deer or had to track them far at all. My longest track was after using a 165 hornady BTSP at max load after a 70 yard well placed double lung shot on a roe doe

Have used five different brands of copper bullets over the last ten years these have been the only ones that I've had a problems with .and I shoot about 500 rounds of these a year

Last edited:
Tried to get a hold of tam but there was no answer, bought these now so I'll zero them in one 270 and keep normal bullets for the other rifle and when the Norma run out I'll go back to the federal 130gr coppers. Cheers for your input guys

Can you mail order ammunition in the UK?

If you are shooting 130-gr bullets in your .270, the 130-gr Sako Powerhead sounds like the perfect solution. I may try them. They just appeared on the market here last month, and are way cheaper than Barnes ammo or Federal Premium loaded with Barnes...$33.00 a box.

Back