Thread: Bullet selection

Bullet selection

I'm just about to get my first batch of bullets for reloading.

My rifle shoots most 100 grain bullets well, can I just order any 100grain sp, so when I develop the load it'll work or could my rifle just say I hate that what ever you do with it?

You will find that the result you get will vary a fair bit depending on make and type. I'm afraid its a matter of trial and error to find out what brand/type your rifle favours though there are some brands that can usually be relied upon to give good results.

You mention 100 grn bullets, would that be in .243 calibre because if so you will find that some rifles in .243 don't shoot 100 grn bullets particularly well despite giving excellent results with slightly lighter bullets. It's all down to twist rates and individual rifles. A friend of mine has a .243win Tikka rifle that shoots 95 grn and lighter bullets particularly well but results with 100 grn bullets are marginal, while another friend has an almost identical rifle that will shoot superbly with 100 grn bullets. The first friend just sticks to lighter bullets as he doesn't shoot in Scotland it doesn't affect him.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Yes it's a 243 shoots federal and Winchester 100grains in to 1/4 at 100m. I'm looking at buying Norma bullets as I can get them or RWS/ Geco as I want European components not American.

Good choice of manufacturers Sir.

All you can do is try them and find out what works for you. I understand that the 105grn Geco works rather well normally.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.