.243 Recommendations Please

Fishermandan

I have a feeling that this question might well solicit some contention, however....

For, say £500-800, what do you guys reckon is the best option for a .22lr set-up (new or used)?
Also, same question for a .243.

Both will be for sport rather than work, so I want tools that are a pleasure to use rather than just functional!

Anyone reckon it's worth spending a bit more (or a bit less!)?

Also, it'd be great to canvass opinion on whether it's worth the premium for a new rifle as opposed to second-hand (only had shotguns before, so not as much of an issue).

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I'm not qualified to recommend .243's, but I'm very happy with my .22 CZ 455 TH heavy barrel with a Hawke scope and Sak moderator. Its consistently accurate with RWS subsonics, and has a nice trigger without having to modify it.

As far as the .243 goes in the past I have owned 2 Remington M700's (ADL), 1 Ruger M77, and 1 Ruger M77 MK II. I like the cartridge and am putting in for one on my FAC. I can see this becoming my "go to" rifle for most (but not all) of my hunting in the UK. I have been looking at the Howa 1500 and the CZ 550 American. Both are good firearms and there is a lot of deals to be had on them, especially the Howa.
Used rifles can be a great way to get into a caliber you want to try but the only caveat i have is that i would make the deal only after a gunsmith had checked it, that should minimize the possibility of any nasty surprises later on.
For a .22 RF I have settled on a CZ 452 Silhouette. Price is right, they shoot well, good build quality.
Those weapons are right in your ballpark price wise, roughly £800 including scope, case, sling and moderator.
These are just MY opinions though, someone else on here might have better information for you.

If i was you i would try to get a s/h annie .22 as they are great and you will never shoot it out. I would buy new .243 as you could end up with a horror story. People usually sell a rifle when they are either shot out or not very accurate. With your budget you could get a s/h .22 around £300 if you put the rest to a .243 you could get a new howa with scope and moderator. Give mike norris a call at brock and norris. He will give you all the help you need.

Starting out then as far as the .22 goes the answer is simple buy a CZ/Brno 452 or 455, it's a no brainer. As far as the Anschutz goes while a very good rifle they can have a couple of niggling problems that can cause you as a new shooter few problems so stay simple and go CZ you won't regret it. They are also cheaper and very reliable.

If I were starting out again I would certainly look at the Howa for a centrefire rifle but avoid the Hogue stock. Good rifle for the money.

With both rifles stay simple with the scope and go for better quality rather than flashy bells and whistles. Consider a good second hand scope over a new scope of lower quality and optics.

If you spend a few hours searching this website you will find that similar questions to yours have come up at regular intervals and a raft of suggestions will have been offered by the site members but after a little while you will see a pattern of advise appearing and can form your own conclusions from that.

I have a stainless Syntheic Tikka 595 .243 with a flutted bolt and trigger sorted by Steve Kershaw coming up for sale when my renewal comes back.....!

Garry

I have just made thease two decisions.

For 243 I settled on Browning A bolt, Browning X Bolt and Tikka. The X bolt would have been my prefered choice.

By chance I ended up with a Sako 75 SS synthetic because it came with the Scope and moderator I wanted and with all the bits on it (bipod and sling) it worked out in budget. I didnt think I could afford a Seko but I am very pleased I could

For the 22 I went Ruger 22/10 SS Synthetic because for the rabbit I wanted the quick multiple shot option

ATB

Mark

If i was you i would try to get a s/h annie .22 as they are great and you will never shoot it out. I would buy new .243 as you could end up with a horror story. People usually sell a rifle when they are either shot out or not very accurate. With your budget you could get a s/h .22 around £300 if you put the rest to a .243 you could get a new howa with scope and moderator. Give mike norris a call at brock and norris. He will give you all the help you need.

Agree with the Anschutz comment. Bought an old one with mod and new scope for £250 from my local gunshop. it's a nice gun to use as well as accurate and frankly cheap. Still as good as the day i bought it. Hear nothing bad about CZ and BRNO too.

re 243, I bought a secondhand one (Husqvarna if you will, doubt there's that many others around) for less than half your budget, it has proven accurate, reliable and generally a great gun. For every shot out foxing 243 out there, there's a hardly used one that someone used as an entry into centre fire and has given up or moved calibre. You should find a reputable dealer can get you a good second hand 243 that he can give you some accuracy guarantee, then max out on a high quality simple second hand scope. That's what I'd do anyway, particularly as you may move on from 243 (still got mine and still love it).

Or just get a Howa from what I've heard.

My dad has an annie must be 25+years old and it was a work horse fo nearly 20 years. Put thousands through it and it makes my cz452 look silly. Its the best .22 i have used

For a 22 you can't beat a CZ 452/ BRNO 24mod 2 rugged reliable accurate, personally I the the 455 is a not as well balanced as the 452s. Last a life time with no issues one of mine is 40 years old and still spot on shot after shot.

243 go and shoulder a few buy what you like second hand has the risk but if you shoot before you buy you'll be fine, or there are a few good new deals around like the Howa. Personally I like the Remi 700.

cz for thre 22lr i have two cz and are a joy to use.. with the 243 just go with a brand tikka rem howa cz as , if your happy and confident with it that will be the right gun

.22lr - a CZ452 or 5, but look around and if you are lucky you will find a really good Brno Mod2. Essentially the same rifle but the old model2 were much better finished.

A Sako Finfire is also a really good choice.

243 - for the sort of money look at the Howa if buying new. Otherwise you are looking at the Parker Hale / BSA for £200 leaving plenty for a decent scope, or you looking at clean but older model tikka 595, Sakos and rarities such as the Heym SR20, Sauer 200 etc.

Most rifles only shoot a handful of bullets a year so if 30 or 40 years old they are only just getting worn in. Looking at general condition of bluing and signs of use are muzzle tip, bolt handle and floor plate. Stock - has it been bashed about? Always try and pull the stock from the action - it can hide a lot of horrors - amateur bedding attempts etc.

Back