Hi from Toronto, Ontario

Leon Trotsky

Greetings to all from the colonies. Ironically our Prime Minister believes more in the Empire than your most devout monarchist from York. My interest in joining the forum involves a recent acquisition, a Sauer 202, 300 Win Mag. We use that caliber over here because the size and ferocity of our squirrel population demands it.

As I said I recently bought a Sauer 202 and I noticed the forend has play, quite a bit of play, in the groove that fits to the barrel. Is this a normal occurrence? I would have thought that a rifle as expensive as the Sauer, and one that celebrates such tight tolerances, would fit wood to metal in like manner. I've read elsewhere that this is 'normal' however it seems wrong that the wood groove would be 1/16" larger than the barrel.

Your thoughts on it.

Leon Trotsky

Last edited:
Welcome to the site, you might have better luck with your question by asking it in one of the firearms forums instead of the introductions.

John

..As I said I recently bought a Sauer 202 and I noticed the forend has play, quite a bit of play, in the groove that fits to the barrel. Is this a normal occurrence? I would have thought that a rifle as expensive as the Sauer, and one that celebrates such tight tolerances, would fit wood to metal in like manner. I've read elsewhere that this is 'normal' however it seems wrong that the wood groove would be 1/16" larger than the barrel.

Your thoughts on it.

Leon Trotsky

Welcome aboard. How's your head? More seriously, I had a Sauer 90 and the fore end pointed in a different direction each time I took it out of the gun cupboard. I sold it.

Regards

JCS

Back