Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To castrate or not

To castrate or not

I had my now six month Large Munsterlander booked in next tuesday for castration but had a panic attack on he's behalf and cancelled it,i'm not sure if i'm doing the right thing at such a tender age.Is it going to affect his growth,is he going to get fat,i dont want to mess a good dog up if i can help it.I've always had bitches and never had any of them spayed and never had any problems with them,the only problem i have now is i still have a bitch who's eleven and she only comes into season once a year but i can keep them apart if necessary.At what age should i have him done if at all,are there any downfalls with castration i don't know about,what are your experiences good or bad.
    Cheers Neil
    Last edited by Dawnraider; 26-02-2010 at 20:04.

You be careful now!, you never know what you might come back as!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Steve i had the snip years ago then had it reversed after 14 yrs the only thing i'll come back as is a mug.

I had my dog (Springer) done at six months. He never realised what happened. Never put him up nor down. As for weight you cut back on feeding after castration about 30% as they don't require so much feeding. I would say go ahead. It will not affect his working ability one iota.

I had my springer (now 10) done when he was about 7mnths old; we had no plans to breed from him, and didn't want him wandering, plus with a young child at the time we didn't to take a chance on any aggression surfacing, or over-protectiveness.

He bounded out of the surgery as though he'd had nothing done, and was so boingy I was genuinely concerned that he'd bust his stitches and spill spaniel giblets all over the floor!! It didn't seem to affect him one jot - he's always had plenty of (too much?!?) energy, didn't pile on the pounds (just balance diet & exercise accordingly), and has worked enthusiastcially for a good number of years now. Just having to think of retiring him - I think his hearing is on its way out - not just 'selective obedience' - and one of his hips seems to be starting to give him a bit of gyp. ...

Anyway - no regrets about the decision to castrate him, and no signs of untoward after effects.

I had my lab snipped when I only had one cocker, and as they were both living indoors at the time I didnt want crossbred pups. It never bothered him and I have always controlled his diet to stop weight gain.
    The down side was that he would have been a cracking stud dog and I lost alot of cash from the requests to use him for breeding.

Last edited by cockerdog; 26-02-2010 at 21:35.

Don't do it.

I much prefer keeping and working dogs, keeping only the occassional bitch if she shows exceptional promise.

You'll kick yourself if he proves to be one of the great ones and could have taken a pup from him.

Thanks for the replies guys,i'm probably being over concerned about the whole thing,i doubt i'll ever want to breed from him but you never know i suppose.He really is a good natured dog so i think i'm unlikley to have any behavourial problems with him, i just can't help thinking that i should let him mature a bit more before i make any decision,he still squats like a girlie at the minute and i seem to remember reading something that suggested that they shouldn't be done untill they start cocking their leg.I think i'll give him a reprieve for the moment and see how we go,i'd still be intrested to hear anybodys views on this though.
    Thanks again Neil

Hi Neil - I know what you mean; I ummed and aahed a bit before deciding once and for all. Max - my springer - was still squating when he was done, but wasn't showing any signs at all of 'cocking'. After he was done, sometimes he squatted, sometimes he cocked.... Didn't seem to be any pattern to it, so I didn't let it bother me!

You're doing exactly the right thing taking your time to think it through - as Scotsgun said, you'll kick yourself if you do it and decided in the future that he was the dog to end all dogs, or it may be that like myself, you've no plans at all for breeding.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Merlin (...with my springer lying fast asleep at my feet!! )

The spaniel I had castrated became fat lazy and wooly coated as a result. It also did little to change any aggressive or domination he displays.
    If you do it to a youngster before he is mature you will never know the adverse effects because you have no entire comparable but you will only have half the working dog you could have had. (imho)
    Why choose a dog pup if you are going too remove its masculine characteristics?