308 barrel length

Shooting my 20", 1/13 twist 168gr 308 this eve at 960yds. First clean barrel shot was about a foot low a foot right. Wind was rolling over the cliff from the land. Adjusted.... and it got boring hitting the rock.
edi

960yds_zps0e463d7b.jpg

Shooting my 20", 1/13 twist 168gr 308 this eve at 960yds. First clean barrel shot was about a foot low a foot right. Wind was rolling over the cliff from the land. Adjusted.... and it got boring hitting the rock.
edi

960yds_zps0e463d7b.jpg

Crikey,interesting range you have there!!!!

Going through this myself at the moment, had a demo stiller predator with a 18 inch 308 barrel shot very well with 125 ballistic tips . i am tempted with an even shorter 7mm 08 at the moment or a 30 BR.

I am just about to sit down and do some studying on quick load to see what i can come up with. I would like to see if i can get it down to 16'' still have reasonable velocities and over 1700 ftlb, big ask but with a bit of fiddling i think it's possible.

Last edited:
Going through this myself at the moment, had a demo stiller predator with a 18 inch 308 barrel shot very well with 125 ballistic tips . i am tempted with an even shorter 7mm 08 at the moment or a 30 BR.

I am just about to sit down and do some studying on quick load to see what i can come up with. I would like to see if i can get it down to 16'' still have reasonable velocities and over 17,000 ftlb, big ask but with a bit of fiddling i think it's possible.

What are you hunting that needs that sort of energy ! Tanks ?

edi

960yds_zps0e463d7b.jpg

With a nice wooden stock you'd be on for crabs.

K
:D

How big is the rock?

Seriously, I love the "range" you have there.

The rock is quite big flat and facing towards me, there are little spots on the rock that one can use as a target. With the mildot one can measure roughly clicks needed for second round hit.
The wind can really get you, open Atlantic and very steep valley just 50yds out where the wind can blow upwards...that eve the wind was from the land and the sound of the shot going along the rocks was unreal. Have a customer who is an acoustics expert who I'd like to record the sound if the wind blows from that direction again.
My old rangefinder would struggle over 800m, the newer one will do a bit more.

A few more distances and targets. If I am alone I must hold the rifle much tighter than my usual so I can see the strike, don't fire crazy amounts of shots here, more after being able to hit things at distance with the first cold bore shot. Slowly improving the drop chart.
longrangepotting_zps6087e1ab.jpg

edi

Hi rob. I have a parker hale 1100 lightweight in 308 I believe it has a 1 / 10 twist if that helps

Egj, what stock is that on your rifle? Actually what is the whole set-up?
Cheers

Egj, what stock is that on your rifle? Actually what is the whole set-up?
Cheers
Normal remmy action from Brownells, Timney trigger, Bartlein Medium Palma tight bore barrel cut to 20" with 1/13 twist.
My son made the experimental ultra light E-Tac stock that only weighs 29 oz.
Rifle without scope weighs 7.7lbs
edi

The rock is quite big flat and facing towards me, there are little spots on the rock that one can use as a target. With the mildot one can measure roughly clicks needed for second round hit.
The wind can really get you, open Atlantic and very steep valley just 50yds out where the wind can blow upwards...that eve the wind was from the land and the sound of the shot going along the rocks was unreal. Have a customer who is an acoustics expert who I'd like to record the sound if the wind blows from that direction again.
My old rangefinder would struggle over 800m, the newer one will do a bit more.

A few more distances and targets. If I am alone I must hold the rifle much tighter than my usual so I can see the strike, don't fire crazy amounts of shots here, more after being able to hit things at distance with the first cold bore shot. Slowly improving the drop chart.
longrangepotting_zps6087e1ab.jpg

edi

That's ALMOST "Shoreline Deerstalking"!!

K

Looks good and fishy down there sort of place we climb down and fish for cod during winter'looks a lot like the cliffs from Arbroath to Aberdeen out of curiosity where is it'once watched the salmon fishermen shooting seals out at sea from a bit like that.

Looks good and fishy down there sort of place we climb down and fish for cod during winter'looks a lot like the cliffs from Arbroath to Aberdeen out of curiosity where is it'once watched the salmon fishermen shooting seals out at sea from a bit like that.

:rofl:What,just checking so that you dont go climbing/fishing when its in use as a range????:eek:

Hope it's no between arbroath & Stoney!!!! I'll be nervous cod fishing this year !!!! I'll leave my tip light at home :(

Nah :) he said Atlantic side :)

Back