Well there's been a few threads on knives of late and some nice work done. I thought I'd put a pic of my new one up for you to see.
After trying a number of knives from a £5 mora (very good but too long in the blade) to a eka folder, then to a hand made knife bought 2nd hand off here. I finally decided on what I think I need/want in a knife. Since the JES magpie I had was almost right I asked John to produce a variation on this.
The handle was perfect but the blade too short to bleed a sika, and had slightly to much belly to get round the anus of roe or muntjac. So a perspex template was made of the knife blank, giving a little more pointed blade. The extra length for bleeding meant that my fingers were very near or on the razor sharp blade when un-zipping. So I had the blade left long but un-sharpened at the handle end. I then decided it would be more comfortable if there was a finger recess along with making the knife look more aesthetic
After some more fettleing of the blank it was sent off to John. I provided the timber for the scales which is Australian River red gum. This was something I picked up while working out there and had saved for such a project. They were stabilised but didn't take as much chemical as other timbers due to the natural oils contained within gum tree. However I think they will be very durable.
It's probably a little short for bleeding a red but then I've never shot one of them, and if I get the chance I'll just take a mora. I don't think there is a one knife does all solution, not for me anyway.
Here's the pictures.