Advanced Deer Management course - pass rate ?

Hi
Sorry I don't know the pass rates but did the BDS deer management course earlier this year and would advise to ask if the folder could be sent out prior to attending the course as found it a lot to take in in the three days.
Regards
Jimmy

Hi
Sorry I don't know the pass rates but did the BDS deer management course earlier this year and would advise to ask if the folder could be sent out prior to attending the course as found it a lot to take in in the three days.
Regards
Jimmy

Does that folder include the exam questions ? ;)

I don't know what the pass rate is either but I can tell you that, though very enjoyable, I found it to be one of the more difficult courses. Rather than multiple choice or practical tests, the Deer Management course requires you to work out a cull plan, write up an outline management plan, evaluate the ground based on a map, etc.

I would echo Jimmy's comment about getting sight of the folder early, as there's a lot to be crammed in - and I did the old 5 day course!

From what I was told on the course the only difference between the old 5 day and the new 3 day courses is that on the 3 day you have no park visit and no shoot test.
I suppose when other suppliers start offering a similar course in less time something has to give to enable you to stay in the game as it were, unfortunate I think as the extra days would of given more weight to the qualification but what do you do, when I did my DMQ level 1 it was four days now people are getting the same papers in two, right or wrong that's the way society is going in every aspect due to the 'I want it yesterday' tribe.
Regards
Jimmy

From what I was told on the course the only difference between the old 5 day and the new 3 day courses is that on the 3 day you have no park visit and no shoot test.
I suppose when other suppliers start offering a similar course in less time something has to give to enable you to stay in the game as it were, unfortunate I think as the extra days would of given more weight to the qualification but what do you do, when I did my DMQ level 1 it was four days now people are getting the same papers in two, right or wrong that's the way society is going in every aspect due to the 'I want it yesterday' tribe.
Regards
Jimmy

I am also from the 'I want it yesterday' tribe - and I am referring to the exam questions and tasks. And I want it yesterday because my course starts tomorrow! Too late, what a shame, I will now have to use my limited time-management skills, intellect and memory to my best ability.

Out of interest, does anybody know what the pass rate is for the BDS / Jelen Advanced Deer Management courses?

To answer my own question: The pass rate is, allegedly, around 95%, or out of every course-group of around 15/16 people maybe just one will fail.

Having now done the course, I must say how refreshing it was to spent three days with a bunch of very experienced and knowledgeable tutors and students of whom not one bored the group with bragging about his superior brand of rifle, or the high cost and magical light-gathering qualities of his premium branded scope. Nor did anybody show any signs at all of caliber-warshipping.

if the first time pass rate is indeed 95% then it's not really advanced enough!!

If you skewer the pass rate depending on the results, you will fail people who would have passed with a credit if they would have found themselves by random chance in another group, and that is statistically very unsound.

Or the standard of teaching and knowledge of the candidates is very good

The vast majority were professional game-keepers, deer managers, pest-controllers, a vet, senior DDM guys, and prof. stalkers, so a pretty experienced and knowledgeable bunch of guys.
A minority were amateur stalkers including students from Sweden and Denmark.

I do not wish to devalue anybodies qualifications but I think that these qualifications in there current form are not worth the paper that they're written on.
In theory you could get DSC1, DSC2 and be an Advanced Deer Manager and only have ever shot 3x deer.
How can you be advanced without sitting an advanced shooting test?
You also have to remember that it is a course. Courses have very high pass rates.

Having red your post above Eric, would you not say that their qualification is devalued by the fact that what I have said could happen?

Last edited:
absolutely, but a 95% pass at 'advanced' level means it's not challenging enough for the candidates as a qualification. All credit to those that have it but in the education sector if a qualification had that kind of pass rate they move the goal posts.

I do not wish to devalue anybodies qualifications but I think that these qualifications in there current form are not worth the paper that they're written on.
In theory you could get DSC1, DSC2 and be an Advanced Deer Manager and only have ever shot 3x deer.
How can you be advanced without sitting an advanced shooting test?
You also have to remember that it is a course. Courses have very high pass rates.

Having red your post above Eric, would you not say that their qualification is devalued by the fact that what I have said could happen?

I do of course get your point, and in my view passing this course does not qualify you to become a 'deer manager' - it is more a starting point to a process that in the end could mean you have an opportunity to become one, after gaining the appropriate experience and more knowledge. I fully agree with you that dropping the marksmanship test has been a bad move - it should really be part of the entire course. But I understand the issues in the market and the need to stay competitive as well.The BDS tutors did say that they are talking about reinstating the marksmanship test as an optional extra, and of course Jelen is already offering it as an extra.
The question is if candidates that passed this course with the BDS can now do the marksmanship module with Jelen (???).

One young game-keeper/stalker on the course was very pragmatic. When I joked that he could now ask for a pay increase, he replied that if he did, his employer would tell him to find another job. That does about sum it up.

It does make you wonder about the marksmanship test.
Given the recent thread on FC and the ranger saying that the biggest failure was on marksmanship. You have to remember too that the people who made it that far would have to be DSC2 qualified as well.
There is no way that it should be extra. It should be compulsory and you should only get one go at it, after all deer tend to run away if you miss.
When I did mine people were tutored on the day to pass the shooting test. It still happens on DSC1.
One has to ask, if you can't shoot, what are you doing there?

Back