An Aberdeenshire ancient shooting laddie.

soundwaves

Hi everybody out there.
I am delighted to be able to join this stalking community, having been shooting formally since the age of 11..many decades ago! My first stalking was in my late teens with my lovely 6.5 mannlicher schoener ( now alas, no longer with me) but until I returned to Scotland 15 years ago, most of my shooting was pistol and rifle through my clubs in London and at Bisley and at a friends farm in East Sussex. I mainly do small bore rabbitting and full bore target now, but with empty slots on my "ticket" and both Roe and Red deer on my brother's hill farm, I will soon be lifting my eyes to the hills again. Just about to buy a used .223 steyr mannlicher pro hunter, though worried about the forend and cannot tell if it is a mark 1 or a mark 2. I am also trying to finalise the detail for an almost full custom "heavy stalking" rifle in 6.5X47 lapua, which I would also be shooting on the range up to 1000 yards, as I love long range shooting. Happy hunting to you all.

• :rolleyes:

Hi all
Thanks for all your welcoming posts. I gave up the idea of a used steyr mannlicher pro hunter, and have now just bought a new Howa .223 with 1 in 9 inch twist barrel (wildcat predator sound moderator) and nikon 3-9X50 scope, bought as it has a "return to zero" facility on its adjustment knobs, and the really great Nikon "Spot on " ballistics program you can download on to your computer that basically allows you to tailor make the BDC reticule in the scope to your own ammunition ballistic characteristics. Tie that combination up with a good rangefinder (I have a leupold 1000 TBR) and you have a marvellous precision tool. The sporting estate on which I live, has it's own zeroing range just a mile from me that I am allowed to use, so I can't wait to walk up there next week and spend about 90 minutes bedding in my rifle barrel. I am looking forward to seeing how accurately the rifle shoots, especially as I decided to go for a stock with a strengthened fore end (for the bipod) with aluminium double pin bedding. Once I have experimented with bullets from the 55 to 75 grain weight to see which suits my barrel best, I am expecting this to be a great rifle for Roe within my scots pine woods, and also fare reasonably well in my shooting club's sporting rifle competitions.

Thanks again for all your kind replies so far, and to "hunterscabin", I suspect I may well need some ammo help in the near future once I have used up my current supply of basic 55 grain .223's.

Back